Can anyone reccomend a good book about St. Bernadette and the apparitions at Lourdes?

I have a copy of “The Song of Bernadette,” but that’s fictional. I’d like to read a factual account.

Here’s a free .pdf with a description of the apparitions of Our Lady to St. Bernadette.

msmary.edu/grotto/docs/apparitions_benadette.pdf

That might be a good start. :slight_smile:

I have a fantastic book which I got from my local Pauline Books and Media shop. Its called Bernadette of Lourdes: Her Life, Death and Visions by Therese Taylor, who actually did her PhD doctrate on the visions at Lourdes. She gives Bernadette's whole life story and accounts and different versions of the visions in great detail and cites quotations from letters and exerpts from newspapers printed at the time reporting the stories of Bernadette and the visions and police interviews etc. The writing of the book truely comes over as a labour of love, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading it and I would be pleased to recomend it to anyone ;) If you cant buy it anywhere locally you can buy it here if you fancy it
amazon.com/Bernadette-Lourdes-Life-Death-Visions/dp/0860123383/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299599186&sr=1-1

St Bernadette Soubirous by Abbe Francois Trochu is the best I've seen.

The book I very much enjoyed, along with those already suggested was: Bernadette of Lourdes: Shepherdess, Sister and Saint by Frances Parkinson Keyes. Besides a good telling of her story/apparitions, it has some personal insights into our dear Saint from those who served with her in her convent. A very warm and spiritual look at St. Bernadette.

I just finished reading "A Holy Life - The Writings of St. Bernadette of Lourdes" (Ignatius Press) and it was fantastic! It was mostly letters and journallings by St. Bernadette, accompanied by commentary explaining what was happening in her life at the time. It gives the reader an excellent and intimate understanding of she and her life experience, and includes a chonology of the apparitions at the end of the book.

Blessings -

Mattye

[quote="CrazyRachel, post:3, topic:231555"]
I have a fantastic book which I got from my local Pauline Books and Media shop. Its called Bernadette of Lourdes: Her Life, Death and Visions by Therese Taylor, ...

[/quote]

You might also try "Bernadette Speaks" published by Pauline Books & Media, publishing house of the Daughters of St. Paul: amazon.com/Bernadette-Speaks-Life-Soubirous-Words/dp/0819811548/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308147129&sr=1-1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.