Can anyone recommend a book

That explains Catholicism in a non apologetic or polemical way? This is for a Protestant young adult who is just interested in knowing more about her friends faith. It is important that it is explanatory only. Does this book exit?

Thanks,

Mel

[quote=Melchior]That explains Catholicism in a non apologetic or polemical way? This is for a Protestant young adult who is just interested in knowing more about her friends faith. It is important that it is explanatory only. Does this book exit?

[/quote]

Try “Catholicism for Dummies”

hurst

Although I haven’t read it myself, I believe Why Do Catholics Do That might fit the bill for your friend.

[quote=hurst]Try “Catholicism for Dummies”

hurst
[/quote]

I gave this to a non-denominational (fallen away Catholic) to share in his prayer group. When we entered into “dialogue” regarding the Faith, I recommend he take mine and read it…he was a plumber in my home asking questions…:wink:

Try “Catholicism for Dummies”

hurst

[quote=Della]Although I haven’t read it myself, I believe Why Do Catholics Do That might fit the bill for your friend.
[/quote]

I’d recommend these as well. I’d also recommend Peter Kreeft’s “Catholic Christianity” or Alan Shrek’s revised version of “Catholic and Christian” (don’t pick up the original with the red stained glass-looking cover. It had a problematic statement about women’s ordination that has since been removed in the revision).

People sometimes recommend getting them a full blown Catechism but I disagree that it should be given as an introduction, since it is a little overwhelming for the novice. Better you should get them something more aproachable that *references * the Catechism (like Kreeft’s book).

[quote=Melchior]That explains Catholicism in a non apologetic or polemical way? This is for a Protestant young adult who is just interested in knowing more about her friends faith. It is important that it is explanatory only. Does this book exit?

Thanks,

Mel
[/quote]

There are many, but I recommend the following…

**Handbook For Today’s Catholics

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/20271sm.jpg

Thanks,

Mel
[/quote]

*The Teaching of Christ: A Catholic Catechism for Adults *is a truly excellent book. It never engages in polemic, there are no attacks on other religions nor on other Christians, it is not apologetic. Nor is it the fearful kind of book that ignores everything that has happened in the last 40 years. I can’t praise it enough. BTW, it is as orthodox as could be wished, and the bibliography is not “Catholics only” - C. S.Lewis is there too. It’s ecumenical, modern, unpolemical, unafraid, unapologetic, & orthodox; has indices to the Bible and to the book as a whole, & sections on the canon and the Doctors of the Church which are entirely free of the boasting one gets in some Catholic books. It is also well-written and well-presented - cross-references are by page numbers in the margins.

If you recommend nothing else, recommend that

It is about 600 pages long - and deserves to be read.

BTW - I bought it years before I ever became RC, in 1976, when I too was a young adult; and lent it to a friend who also liked it. A Catholic book of that kind which impresses Protestants favourably can’t be all bad, I think. I know “rave” reviews sound a bit too good to be true - but this deserves all the praise it has received from bishops and cardinals. ##

I agree with Gottle, the **The Teaching of Christ - 4th Edition
**is a good catechism. It is among my post-grad textbooks. However, for young adults, it may be a bit lengthy for a simple inquiry.

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/1630sm.jpg

Thanks much ladies and gentlemen. :slight_smile:

Mel

Mel:

Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed is very good and non threatening. It’s a mainstay for suggested reading here. It’s actually good for a brush up also on orthodoxy.

in XT.

Hi

I found a pretty good resource here I think - “We Believe…” A Survy of the Catholic Faith, by Fr. Oscar Lukefahr. It is free, as well as several other publications concerning the faith. It isn’t pushy, or derogatory of any other faith - just explanatory. hope this helps.

Peace

John

I just did a search for that myself and of the several I lent, the most successful was Rome Sweet Home by Scott and Kimberly Hahn. Its intriging to a Protestant - particularly a non-denominaional born-again - why anyone would want to be Catholic. The reasons are here, and you get to follow along with the author’s discovery! Its a page-turner. This is the book that changed me and also is moving a close friend fo mine. For someone with a perhaps shorter attentions span, along the same lines is Surprised by Truth. There are a variety of similar stories of conversion in it, and in each one you learn about why Catholics do that. I read "Why do Catholics do that? and lent it to my friend but it was not as intriguing as the others to her. A little too “religious” perhaps for some. More intriguing to us who already are Catholic maybe. Like reading your own family history.

Your Life is Worth Living: A Christian Philosphy of Life By Fulton J. Sheen. It is a wonderfull book (the First relgious book I ever got). It gives you a breif overveiw of the Catholic Faith and a bit on why we beleive what we beleive (by no means definitive but, good introduction). It is done with such charity and love it is quite a beutiful book.

Invitation to Catholicism by Alice Camille is great. It is written by a Catholic and proofread by her protestant friends to make sure that it is understandable by all. Each chapter deals with a different section of our creed. Very good book!

Not a book, but I really like Faith FAQs–audio from St. Joe’s. It is really good. I’ve bought it for my nephew and niece.

I thought that I’d add my two cents. The Faith of Millions: The Credentials of the Catholic Religion: by John Anthony O’Brien. The Father of a woman I knew converted after reading this book.

KK

Whatever you do, stay away from Catholicism by Richard McBrien!

(It is dissident garbage in disguise :tsktsk: )

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.