Can anyone recommend a good audio book?

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip at the end of March that will have us in the car for 11-12 hours and decided that while we both like music an audio book might not be a bad idea either... any suggestions?

Are you looking for titles in a certain genre, or are you open to anything?

If you care to brush up on Catholic apologetics, you could go for something like Scott Hahn's Answering Common Objections. :)

[quote="mdrummer5, post:1, topic:229484"]
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip at the end of March that will have us in the car for 11-12 hours and decided that while we both like music an audio book might not be a bad idea either... any suggestions?

[/quote]

I usually commute about 2 1/2 hours per day (round trip time) and spend a lot of it listening to audio's by the likes of Fr. John Corapi, Dr. Peter Kreeft, the late Archbishop Fulton Sheen, and other Catholic "heavyweights." I find it very enlightening and it makes the trip faster.

You can download as many or as much as you like from the following links:

alabamacatholicresources.com/Fr_John_Corapi.html

alabamacatholicresources.com/dr_peter_kreeft.html

alabamacatholicresources.com/Catechism.html (by Bishop Sheen)

alabamacatholicresources.com/archbishop_fulton_j_sheen.html

alabamacatholicresources.com/church_in_the_world.html

God bless! :)

Nothing to do with Catholicism. Looking for pure fiction but nothing heavy we're both into fantasy literature but she reads all kinds of stuff and I wouldn't be opposed to other things but given a 12 hour drive we're looking for something light hearted.

Thanks Scooby... again nothing heavy but I may look into those for myself as I commute an hour myself daily.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:1, topic:229484"]

[/quote]

Mother Angelica's biography by Raymond Arroyo is great -- so many miracles have happened for her. EWTN sells it. It's sub-titled. "The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles."

[quote="mdrummer5, post:4, topic:229484"]
Nothing to do with Catholicism. Looking for pure fiction but nothing heavy we're both into fantasy literature but she reads all kinds of stuff and I wouldn't be opposed to other things but given a 12 hour drive we're looking for something light hearted.

[/quote]

Apologies to continue religious recommendations, but one of the few audio books I have owned:

The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis, read perfectly by John Cleese. :thumbsup:

tee

[quote="tee_eff_em, post:7, topic:229484"]
Apologies to continue religious recommendations, but one of the few audio books I have owned:

tee

[/quote]

No apology necessary, I read other times too :D

I might have to look into that I'm sure it's a good book and I do like John Cleese.

[quote="tee_eff_em, post:7, topic:229484"]

[/quote]

Seriously? That sounds awesome!

LibriVox has TONS of old books (public domain stuff) read by volunteers and it is all free. You can browse by genre (among other things), so you might want to wander through their stuff.

As for recommendations, I really like all the Oz books (as in Wizard of Oz). There are quite a few of them, so they would keep you busy for awhile and they are just fun books and in the fantasy realm. I tend to like mysteries so for those all of the Sherlock Holmes books and Father Brown books. I also recently listened to Cleek the Man of Forty Faces and that was good. For funny stuff, I've just started listening to a bunch of PG Wodehouse's books and they are great if you enjoy the British sense of humor.

[quote="KarenElissa, post:10, topic:229484"]
LibriVox has TONS of old books (public domain stuff) read by volunteers and it is all free. You can browse by genre (among other things), so you might want to wander through their stuff.

As for recommendations, I really like all the Oz books (as in Wizard of Oz). There are quite a few of them, so they would keep you busy for awhile and they are just fun books and in the fantasy realm. I tend to like mysteries so for those all of the Sherlock Holmes books and Father Brown books. I also recently listened to Cleek the Man of Forty Faces and that was good. For funny stuff, I've just started listening to a bunch of PG Wodehouse's books and they are great if you enjoy the British sense of humor.

[/quote]

Cool I will have to check that out... it looks ideal too becuase those I could just download to my phone which I can play through my car stereo, thanks!

The Harry Potter books are all read by Jim Dale and are all excellent. I recently listened to The Identity Man by Andrew Klavan. It too was excellent. I also enjoyed Michael Connelly’s The Lincoln Lawyer.

I listen to books on CD a lot in my car. I get them from the local library. I really enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia. Each book is read by a different person. I particulary enjoyed The Last Battle read by Captain Picard;).

I listen to books on CD a lot in my car. I get them from the local library. I really enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia. Each book is read by a different person. I particulary enjoyed The Last Battle read by Captain Picard

I'm not huge on Star Trek but you're referring to Patrick Stewart correct?

This somehow lead me to look up James Earl Jones... he did an audio version of the Bible which I'm sure is awesome... but it's the KJV... I wouldn't mind it but I don't particularly care for the translation.

[quote="mdrummer5, post:14, topic:229484"]
I'm not huge on Star Trek but you're referring to Patrick Stewart correct?

This somehow lead me to look up James Earl Jones... he did an audio version of the Bible which I'm sure is awesome... but it's the KJV... I wouldn't mind it but I don't particularly care for the translation.

[/quote]

Yes it was Patrick Stewart but I heard Picard through out . He did a great job.

[quote="marytk, post:15, topic:229484"]
Yes it was Patrick Stewart but I heard Picard through out . He did a great job.

[/quote]

lol

I've never read the Narnia books so that might be a good series... we're going to be in the car a looong time.

Angela's Ashes read by Frank McCord

Funny, tragic but spot on for the way Ireland was for the poor.

In my house we now say "stop tormenting everyone with your dream!" when folks go on too long about their dreams.

I finally was home & thinking about it so I looked it up. I'd recommend [FONT=Arial][size=2]The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.
[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.