Can ashes be scattered?

Good day…

I found out that my brother that lives in Florida, ( I live in Michigan )passed away March 13. We didn’t speak regularly. His only family there is a son which he has no contact with. Here in Michigan he has myself, a niece and a son. My niece has been in tough with a friend of his there and his ashes are being sent here. My niece wants to give me some and honor his request to have his ashes spread into the ocean back in Florida. My question is if this is a against the 7 corporal works of mercy to bury the dead? I know the Church accepts cremation the issue I am having is the traetment of the ashes in the way he and her wish.Shouln’t the ashes be kept intact and placed in a proper place??

The following links should help answer your questions about the proper treatment of cremains. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Is it correct to keep the cremains of a deceased relative in your home?
How do I decline to scatter human cremains?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.