Can Catholic priests get married? (please read first post before responding)

As far as I know, the Catholic Church allows married men to become priests under special circumstances (i.e. Eastern Catholic Churches, Former Protestant Ministers, etc.), but that priests are not allowed to get married.

Now, when a priest is defrocked, he is "dismissed from the clerical state" and is relieved of all of his duties except for his vow of chastity and hearing the confession of a dying penitent. However, he is still considered a priest and doing priestly functions such as consecrating the Eucharist are considered valid but illicit. Moreover, a defrocked priest may be granted dispensation from his vow of celibacy (and can get married).

Now, hypothetically speaking, if a priest is dismissed from the clerical state can get married after being granted dispensation, can a priest who is NOT defrocked be possibly granted dispensation for getting married? Remember, this question is purely hypothetical, I'm just curious if it is possible and whether or not the vow of celibacy is a matter of church discipline, authoritative doctrine, defnitinitive doctrine, or dogma.

Celibacy is a discipline. The Church has bypassed this discipline on many occasions, such as when an Anglican priest is received into Catholic ordination. Church doctrine, however, is fixed and cannot be dispensed.

The discipline of celibacy was not universal until ca. 1100. Conceivably, the Vatican could suspend it tomorrow; although to do so amid the "sexual revolution" would look like surrender and so will almost certainly not happen.

God Bless and ICXC NIKA

[quote="GEddie, post:2, topic:269723"]
Celibacy is a discipline. The Church has bypassed this discipline on many occasions, such as when an Anglican priest is received into Catholic ordination. Church doctrine, however, is fixed and cannot be dispensed.
God Bless and ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

I know that married men who become priests or deacons are not required to be celibate, but can a priest get married *after *ordination (wioth dispensation relieving him from vow of celibacy)?

Well first of all it would depend on religous vs diocesan. Remember the Diocesan does not make mandatory vows, but he make promises to the bishop of celibacy, and obedience. It would be easier for a Diocesan priest who made his promises to the Bishop to get married, if not in active ministry.

However Religious must get their vows dispensed. Because it is a vow to God, and/or to the order.

Normally Diocesan have to get laicization, but there might be extraordinary cases out there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.