Can Catholics be Democrats?

Understood. I really see the point! Just no actual objection.

Or rather anything without me inferring what is objected to.

I can ask about the song “amazing grace” not written by a Catholic. Would that be objected to?

I am really trying to understand the SPECIFIC objections here!

Just to be clear, that is not a party survey, but a survey on two candidates.

I think amazing grace is in our hymnals.
I think the Priest is more concerned about the Modern Protestant Variety of songs.

No, they do not. The Talmud’s first commandment is not actually a commandment, but the proclaimation, “I am the Lord your God.” Then they combine “no other gods” with “no graven images”, as in the Catholic numbering, and coveting stuff and coveting another’s wife, as in the Protestant numbering.

It is a third numbering system.

They still combine our 9th and 10th to make their 10th which is consistent with Protestant 10th.

But I do not see the objection. Is it purely because that is a Protestant or actually what is said?

Currently it seems like the first and not the latter?

I think that is it. The objection is that it is “Protestant”.

I appreciate your honesty!

Thank You.

But I personally do not adhere to that type of prejudice. What I do prejudice about is that they generally do not begin or end their pray with “In the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit” or at least some recognition of our Trinitarian God.

I generally do not mind the numbering system.

I just find it very interesting how the Jewish second commandment got attached to the first.

Given.
I would have no issue with that!

The Jews would disagree with you.

But most people involved in the debate seem to have missed the fact that these three religions divide up the commandments in different ways!

Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers “I am the L-rd, your G-d” to be the first “commandment.”

Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse.

Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate > from the prohibition against worshipping other gods.

No two religions agree on a single list. So whose list should we post?

http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm#Controversy

These may seem like trivial differences to some, but they are serious issues to those of us who take these words seriously. When a government agency chooses one version over another, it implicitly chooses one religion over another, something that the First Amendment prohibits. This is the heart of the controversy.

And that is what Roy Moore did. He implicitly if not explicitly declared “Protestantism” the “State Religion”

http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm#Controversy

they still combine our 9 and 10 into their 10th.

Tenth Commandment (Exodus 20:14)

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house, nor his wife, his man-servant, his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-ten-commandments

The Ten Commandments are the first ten of the 613 commandments given by God to the Jewish people. They form the foundation of Jewish ethics, behavior and responsibility. These commandments are mentioned in order twice in the Torah - once each in the Book of Exodus and the Book of Deuteronomy.
10) Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy neighbor.

It’s… almost as if… there’s a separation between church and state? Crazy notion, I know.

Yes we can. We are Catholic by virtue of our baptism. Now, we can be in a state of sin; we can be excommunicated for very grave offenses. We can be a heretic (see previous). We can be just plain wrong on any number of issues.

But we are still Catholic if we were baptized. No matter how wrong we are.

That’s a very good point. I wish some here would keep it in mind when it comes to sensible gun regulation.

Even when it comes to Islam?

I suspect that people haven’t “thrown” their money at them. The probably had to go through an imperfect yet formal process to be on benefits.

What are you trying to bait me with here? Why would I say otherwise for Islam?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.