Can Catholics be godparents to Protestants?

When my very dear and close friend baptized her daughter in the Presbyterian church I was invited. Without any prior indication the minister made a declaration that all those in attendance would collectively be godparents; there were only four males and three female in attendance.
I never heard of anything like that before and it rather stunned me, a Catholic. To this day, Jen, refers to me as her godmother I being the last of the women present still alive.
Jen is no longer a child but a grown woman herself now but I do have to wonder how might I have dealt this without hurting my friend or her family and how might I handle this if it happens again which, if Jen has a baby, it may well come to just that? :confused:

This link should explain why the Church does not allow Catholics to be godparents in Protestant communities. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Catholic Godparent to Protestant Child?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.