Can Catholics believe in the evolution of the human body?

Hello! Reading an article online from Catholic Answers Magazine, authored by Jack Taylor, I discovered the following statement: “What Catholics must acknowledge in the light of any evolutionary theory is that there was only one first man, Adam, who was the father of us all, **that he could not have been the offspring of animals, that God took a special interest in making his body **and created his soul immediately, and that Eve’s body in some manner originated from Adam’s.
This runs counter to my previous understanding, as may be seen in the words of Saint John Paul II -
“However, the doctrine of faith invariably affirms that man’s spiritual soul is created directly by God. According to the hypothesis mentioned, it is possible that the human body, following the order impressed by the Creator on the energies of life, could have been gradually prepared in the forms of antecedent living beings. However, the human soul, on which man’s humanity definitively depends, cannot emerge from matter, since the soul is of a spiritual nature” (General Audience, April 16, 1986).
Of course it is true that Adam was the one and only first man, the father of all human beings, and that his and Eve’s souls did not evolve. This is absolute truth. The part concerning his and Eve’s physical origins are what concerns me. Thank you, may God bless you! :slight_smile:

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on Creation. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

**Recommended Reading: **
[LIST]
*]What does the Church say about creation?
*]How do Catholics understand the creation story?
*]Does the pope teach us that evolution is false?
*]What is the Church’s view of evolution?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.