Can catholics eat Liver Pâté?

I know there are certain things, like bloodied beef that catholics are supposed to abstain from. I wonder, is this the case with Liver Pâté as well?

This could possibly have been a question for the Apologists section, but my post about it never came through. Any insight on this would be great. It`s like i could always have asked my parish priest about this (but i try not to bother him too much).

God bless and happy first sunday of Lent. :slight_smile:

We are asked to abstain from meat each Friday of Lent, Ash Wednesday, and Good Friday. Fish is allowed but animal or bird meat is not. This is meant to be a sacrifice and technicalities that would “exempt” one from this sacrifice should not be sought. We are asked to follow the spirit as well as the letter of the law.

Yes, i am aware of that and actually abstain from meat on every wednesday and friday. But someone told me that i should not eat liver pate or anything related with liver as it is “blood food”. So i wonder, is this correct or not?

No, this is not correct. And could you explain what you mean by “bloodied beef”. I like my steak rare and there’s no restriction on that.

With bloodied beef i mean a beef that has not been fried thoroughly and therefore has blood in it still. Forgive my sometime bad english, as im a foreigner on this forum.

But thank you for clearing up this regarding the liver paste. :slight_smile:

This is an odd view and considering the number of countries with items like blood pudding etc. as part of their national cuisine which are majority Catholic it’s not a sustainable view. Let’s look at say my own country Ireland where black and white puddings are a popular part of the national diet. Or blood puddings from part of Poland or the Ukraine, all of those could easily be called ‘blood food’. If they were advising you not to go crazy eating these or liver pate on health grounds I could certainly understand that, but nothing prohibites a Catholic from eating liver pate on religious grounds in general life exceptin (as noted) on days when due to disciplinary requirements we should not do so.

Your name made me think you were Irish until I checked your location.

Anyway, no, it is not necessary to fry your steak until it’s like boot leather:), ‘well done’ in other words. We are Catholics, not Jews. They are the ones who have dietary restrictions related to blood. Their meat has to be treated a certain way starting from the way it’s killed.

If someone is telling you something like this ask THEM to provide you the documentation that proves this rule. They won’t be able to do that because it does not exist. As Phemie said, we are not Jews, we have no dietary restrictions outside of the rule to fast and abstain on specific days.

~Liza

Never believe anything someone tells you about the Catholic faith until you first check it out from the CCC or other reliable source.

Catholics can eat anything as long as it’s not humans, or meat on Fridays during Lent.

Thank you very much for the responses. I actually got this from my cousin that converted to the catholic faith on the same day as me (10-24-2010). He “claims” to have heard this from a priest, but can not verify his source.

I have learned a lesson now for sure, as i normaly would not take any of this for granted unless it`s stated in CCC. It caught me a bit off guard as he told me, but now i know better.

This is why i enjoy this place so much, so many helpful and kind catholics that can push a somewhat new, sometimes stubborn (i am working on it) and yes, even scared catholic in the right direction.

Much appreciated.
:thumbsup:

I enjoy liver and pate. Goose liver is especially good. However, I will not eat it if I suspect the animal has been force fed (putting a funnel down the animals throat and pouring the feed into it thus producing a liver which so large the animal has a hard time walking). I would not eat it because I see it as animal cruelty.

There goes my dinner plans! :smiley:

source for this assertion?

I think that this statement is correct because your second one is wrong.:wink:

There is an exception to this rule! :smiley:

There is an exception to this rule! :smiley:
[/quote]

I sure hope the exception is to meat on (Wednesdays and) Fridays during Lent, not about humans! :smiley:

Now what am I going to do with those fava beans and that nice bottle of Chianti?

It is about humans!:smiley:

HINT: Daily Mass on Friday’s! :wink:

I am just in a good mood and I feel like goofing around with puns and silly intepretations of words. :o

In Rome we had the tradition of going for a picnic “fuori porta” (outside the city walls) on Easter Monday and the food was supposed to be fresh fava beans, pecorino (romano cheese), and wine. We can meet there, I will bring the cheese. :thumbsup:

HINT: Daily Mass on Friday’s! :wink:

I am just in a good mood and I feel like goofing around with puns and silly intepretations of words. :o
[/quote]

Haha! I definitely have to bring this up in my religion class tomorrow morning!

May I join if I bring a dish?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.