Can Catholics learn things from Protestants... things they need to learn?

I’m sure many Catholics would answer Yes to this…

One thing i like about Protestants (some) is that they put a lot of emphasis on being born-again…

i do believe we have to go through a radical change like this in order to enter Heaven… It basically is what a person goes through in Purgatory if they have not gone throuhg it before then…

or what one goes through while at the Blessed Sacrament… :slight_smile:

so what can we learn from Protestants?

[LIST]
Knowledge of the Bible[/LIST][LIST]
Zeal for missions and outreach[/LIST]

I think it depends on what you really mean by “things they need to learn.”

Regarding doctrine, absolutely not. Even your example of the Protestant emphasis on being “born again” is not something Catholics “need to learn” from Protestants because the Protestant understanding of how one is born again, what it means to be born again, and the effects of being born again are at odds with the Catholic teaching on the matter.

Are many of my Protestant friends very good examples of living a Christian life, of practicing the virtues, of witnessing for Christ? Yes. I love them, I admire them, and I am friends with them.

Is their doctrine and teaching sound? No. I don’t learn from them, I don’t do bible study with them, and I don’t emulate them in this regard.

Personally, I think Catholics should learn from the Catholic witness provided for us by the Saints.

I think these are gross stereotypes that don’t hold up under scrutiny.

I know many protestant friends who I can run circles around scripturally. One of my baptist friends always says “I need to study the bible more” but never does. And, I know many Catholics who are serious about bible study, and extremely well educated in the Faith.

I think there is a specific sub-set of non-Catholic Christians who place extraordinary emphasis on scripture memorization and proof-texting. But, I’ve found they have a very fundamentalist interpretation of scripture and while they can quote scripture, they lack understanding of what they are quoting. This is my observation of particular people I have encountered, certainly not every non-Catholic.

As for zeal for missions and outreach, I don’t know of any denomination who has more outreach and more mission activity than the Catholic Church. The breadth and depth of mission spans the whole world and 2000 years.

i agree w/ the second but not the 1st…

Catholics (seriuos, catechized, daily-Mass-attending, thoroughly orthodox Catholics) know the bible better than Protestants do… and they have the added benefit of knowing the right interpretation of it (assuming they have an orthodox priest to teach them in his homilies).

if you go to daily Mass for 3 years straight you will hear the entire Bible… so many of the aforemetntioned have heard the Bible several times over…

its funny that protestants used to tell me that i knw the bible well… and this was LONG before i attended daily Mass… long before i studied Catholicism and history of the Church, etc…

i did read the New T through when i was a teenager… but i thought i had forgotten a lot of it… In any case, i hate to say this… but IMHO: Protestants do not know the bible like they think they do… and it is also true that knowing something in a faulty way is sometimes worse than not knowing it…

I agree protestants do exhibit justifiable urgency when it come to being born-again.
On reading the literature on the live of St Patrick , it is said he took people to Purgatory so that they could do their cleansing whilst here on earth. i have come a long way before I reached this point in understanding this.
Based on experiences of people who were shown hell (source spirit lessons and yes I do hold these accounts against Bible and catholic tradition) it is said hell and purgatory and for that matter are accessed from certain points here on earth. remember the account of Jacob going up the ladder to heaven. Well its like that.
its also amazing when protestants have experiences and refer to pirgatory yet not know it. Eg. references to outer darkness in Rick joyner’s book “The Quest”

I would think you could learn that there is a great need to be more clear of your exact intent and holiness of your methods.

But then I would have thought the Jews would have learned to not even accidentally create Nazism too. But maybe it wasn’t an accident, but a strategic sacrifice.

I don’t see the Catholic making such sacrifices intentionally, but then I have to ask why they aren’t making their real intentions less questionable.

But regardless, the need to be more clear is something to learn from those who are in doubt. :smiley:

I am in between being Baptist and Catholic right now, and I can see many things that BOTH sides could learn from one another.

I think that Catholics could benefit from a Sunday school class for children too young to really get Mass. (they don’t do this in my area, anyway)

Yes! Good answer!:thumbsup:
To these, I would add
-tithing
-Fellowshppin’ :smiley:

I think if Cathloic do not have it right after 2000 years, they will never get it right.
And talking about the prostestants and the bible, I think most proest.estants know 6 or 7 bible verse that they use against the Cathloic and that is all they know,just my opinion

I agree here, on the fellowshipping.

Are you serious? LOL, yeah, that’s all I ever learned in my lifetime in Protestant churches, 6 or 7 verses to use against Catholics. The Protestant churches I attended had better things to do than that.

???

But then I would have thought the Jews would have learned to not even accidentally create Nazism too. But maybe it wasn’t an accident, but a strategic sacrifice.

??? Nazism was started by Adolf Hitler. If you don’t believe me just read Mein Kampf.

I don’t see the Catholic making such sacrifices intentionally, but then I have to ask why they aren’t making their real intentions less questionable.

HUH??? What??

But regardless, the need to be more clear is something to learn from those who are in doubt. :smiley:

Now all we need is for you to clarify what you just said.
CC

In my area they do have a wonderful religious education program for kids. We Catholics do believe that the Parents are the primary educators of their children. So in some areas maybe they are focusing more on adult education? Just a guess.
CC

The doctrine of justification according to Paul… which is framed by justification by faith alone. It seems the Pope learned from the Reformation too.

Evangelical Protestants do put a lot of emphasis on being “born-again”. But the bible says that we need to be “born again” of water and spirit. Catholics get the “water and spirit” part of that from Baptism and we get what Protestants typically call the “baptism of the Holy Spirit” at our Confirmation. We receive the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, etc. See… (Catechism of the Catholic Church- CCC 1297-1305 at www.vatican.va)

Purgatory - (CCC 1030-1032)
CC

Protestant things?

Well My daddy told me you always know what a guy is trying to do but you never know what a woman is doing.smile Iam out of here

Can Catholics learn things from Protestants? What a good question!

Bill, how come I haven’t run into you before?

Peace,
Mary

You really need to stop taking quotes out of context. The Holy Father is talking about faith as opposed to works of Law (Torah Law). The Law as the Pharisees and Sadducees saw it. He states clearly in his opening paragraph that he is not talking about faith apart from GOOD WORKS. (emphasis mine). That would be contrary to Catholic teaching.

Besides, the Church has taught that “we are justified by faith” for over 2000 years. It is faith working through love. And not a dead faith…one that just professes to believe by doing an “altar call”.

CC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.