Can Catholics Vote Democrat?

I was wondering if it’s ok for Catholics to vote Democrat? I know that the Democrats are more in favor of abortion, but that doesn’t they don’t do other things that help our country. If anyone on here is Catholic and a Democrat what advice do you have?

I’m an Independent, but unfortunately third parties rarely get votes.

The more interesting question might be who to vote for when both parties have offensive policies!

The Catholic church does not tell you what party to belong to. Yes there are guidelines but often neither party measures up. It is your individual decision who best embodies your beliefs and who you feel is best capable of leading in your local, state in National government. :slight_smile:

I would recommend reading the US Council of Catholic Bishops “Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship”.

usccb.org/issues-and-action/faithful-citizenship/upload/forming-consciences-for-faithful-citizenship.pdf

They can . I’m not sure if they can vote Republican , though.

tongue-in-cheek? Or are you serious?

For me, I will NOT vote for anyone who is pro-abortion. Reasoning: if s/he won’t protect the very most vulnerable among us, s/he will never protect or support me.

So, I voted for the democrat county commissioner who was pro-life (and Catholic), and did not vote for his opponent, who was wishy-washy about life issues (also a professed Catholic). Most times here though, the democrat is all for Planned Parenthood so they’ll never get support from me.

Each party will have policies you do not agree with.
You just have to use your conscience when you vote. That’s the beauty of democracy.
Since Republicans are more likely than Democrats to support capital punishment, does that mean you can’t vote republican. Or if both support it, will you vote neither.

I sure hope so. When the Republican Party actually does something about abortion I will potentially change my mind.

To me, your question is kind of like asking if Catholics can support Nazism. I mean, they did some good for the German economy, right? If abortion is just as bad as what the Nazis did, and it is, then do you see why you can’t support them? Because it’s just like supporting the Nazis.

You’re joking right??? Who passed that strict law in texas last year?

It wasn’t democrats!!!

Capital Punishment isn’t against Catholic teaching if the prisoner is still a danger/menace to society or inmates while still alive. Capital punishment is not ok if it’s main purpose is to save tax payer dollars

MODERATOR NOTE

Normally threads in this forum require that they start with a news article. However since this is election time in large parts of the US, I will leave this thread open to discuss the topic of political parties.

Please review the forum rules posted at the top of the forum pertaining to the discussion of political topics and keep this thread charitable.

Note: In in the News forums are the only forum where you can discuss politics at CAF

I honestly don’t see how a Catholic or any Christian can support either political party, given how evil and corrupt they have become. I think that for a lot of Christians, their political party IS their religion, and that is unfortunate. If we, as Christians, demanded that our representatives acted justly and according to the Truth we profess, this country would be a very different place. That being said, it is certainly reasonable for a Catholic to select an individual candidate if he or she feels that person is the best possible (or the least horrible) choice available.

This makes absolutely no sense

Staunchly pro-abortion, including refusal to bend, even on partial birth abortion. Pro SSM, pro euthanasia. They relentlessly insist on forcing The Little Sisters of the Poor, EWTN and the like to furnish health care coverage that includes contraception, abortifacients etc. If successful, EWTN would be forced to comply with these demands or face potential fines of more than $35,000 per day in penalties for refusing to do so. How insane is this? And you think as a practicing Catholic we can vote for them? My conscience would clobber me! To be clear, Republicans are by no means perfect. But there are candidates there, some Catholic who are religion friendly. I fail to see that on the left. In fact, I see quite the opposite…extreme hostility towards religion. One other point. Supreme Court appointments. These folks are lifers. And that’s scary! Imagine 6 or 7 extreme leftists on the bench…holy smokes!

Peace, Mark

If the parties are so corrupt and evil they don’t deserve you support, how can you support the institution of the church in America with priests sodomizing boys and molesting young girls?
AJ

No.

Catholic morality tells us what to consider in a candidate. It says nothing about party affiliation.

“You can never vote for someone who favors absolutely the right to choice of a woman to destroy a human life in her womb or the right to a procured abortion,” His Excellency said. “You may in some circumstances where you don’t have any candidate who is proposing to eliminate all abortion, choose the candidate who will most limit this grave evil in our country, but you could never justify voting for a candidate who not only does not want to limit abortion but believes that it should be available to everyone.”

Cardinal Raymond Burke

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2010/oct/27/new-cardinal-warns-pro-abortion-voters/#ixzz39IFGIROK
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.