Can Christians make lamb offerings to God?

:smiley: At school, we were talking about Greek mythology and how they made lamb offerings.

I connected this to the Old Testament and one thing lead to another and I was thinking about this question.

I know Jesus was the final and most greatest sacrifice, and we no longer needed lamb offerings. But could we still do it for praise to God?

I wouldn’t do it, but the idea of it sounded in reason, but I’m not sure. Does the Scripture or Church explicitly deny lamb offerings anymore?

What are your opinions?

My opinion is that it would be an insult to make a lamb offering to God.

Jesus is the Lamb of God, and we should never forget that for one minute.

Offer yourself to the Lord every day, and ask Him for the graces you need in a fervent prayer life.

The Mass and the Eucharist is at the center of our Catholic faith.

The Rabbis of pre-Christian times talked about only 1 sacrifice existing past the messianic age. That was an offering of Thanksgiving called the Tod-ah. It was (in Old Testament) times an offering of bread and wine. In Greek, Tod-ah would be translated as Eucharistia. We would call it the Eucharist.

To do it would be to blaspheme the sacrifice of Christ. Christ already offered the perfect sacrifice, why do we need to do something else? Was it not enough? Do we think it is not enough?

On the other hand, in the Byzantine Rite, the bread we use for Communion is called the Lamb.

Along with what the others have said, it`d be a sinful waste of good food…or breeding stock, or just a life.

To what purpose do you offer me the multitude of your victims, saith the Lord? I am full, I desire not holocausts of rams, and fat of fatlings, and blood of calves, and lambs, and buck goats. (Isaiah 1)

I will not take calves out of thy house: nor he goats out of thy flocks. For all the animals of the forest are mine, and I own the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine.

If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is mine, and all that is in it. Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?

Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” (Psalm 50)

What is the Sacrament of the Eucharist called? (CCC 1330) The Holy Sacrifice, because it makes present the one sacrifice of Christ the Savior and includes the Church’s offering. The terms holy sacrifice of the Mass, “sacrifice of praise,” spiritual sacrifice, pure and holy sacrifice are also used, since it completes and surpasses all the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.

The sacrifice of the Holy Eucharist: from the Greek: eukharistia, “thanksgiving”.

(CCC 1360) The Eucharist is a sacrifice of thanksgiving to the Father, a blessing by which the Church expresses her gratitude to God for all his benefits, for all that he has accomplished through creation, redemption, and sanctification. Eucharist means first of all “thanksgiving.”

See Black Knight

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.