Can civilly married couples baptize their children?

I have a friend that married a catholic. They were married by a justice of peace.
They had several children and she agreed for them to be brought up catholic and they were baptized. Did they not need to have their marriage blessed first? Her husband has since walked away from the marriage, divorced her and remarried in the church. I’m still stuck on the “how did the kids get baptized” and they weren’t required to get the marriage blessed. I mean the baptisms didn’t happen after the divorce, but during the marriage.

The parents were not required to be married in order to have their children baptized. All that is required is the promise to raise the children as Catholics.

Can. 868 §1. For an infant to be baptized licitly:
1/ the parents or at least one of them or the person who legitimately takes their place must consent;
2/ there must be a founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion; if such hope is altogether lacking, the baptism is to be delayed according to the prescripts of particular law after the parents have been advised about the reason.

Everyone who brings forth their child to be baptized is a sinner. No one is required to have a perfect life in order to baptize their child. In addition, to force/coerce anyone to get married would do violence to the freedom of will that is required for a valid marriage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.