Can Confirmation Sponsors Give Blessings?

Hello!

In the Catholic Church (as far as I know) an individual’s Godparents from Baptism have the authority to give them a blessing, much in the same way that a child’s parents have that authority. However, I once had someone tell me that a Confirmation Sponsor has the authority to bless their candidate. Is this true? Also, other than (priests, Bishops, and Pope) does anyone else have authority to bless someone?

Thank you!

Deacons

1 Like

Are you talking a blessing as part of a liturgical celebration, or the celebration of the rite?

Outside those situations, anyone may bless another person, can’t they?

I just meant in a general sense.

I do not know, I suppose that is what I’m asking :smile:

No, you must have authority over someone in order to bless them. Anyone may ASK God to bless another: may God bless you.

A father can bless his children (and maybe his wife?). A mother can bless her children. A priest can bless anyone. I don’t know the answer to the OP’s question.

1 Like

Before meals, one of blessings in “Book of Blessings” is:

“1065 When the community has gathered, all make the sign of the cross and the one presiding says the following (a priest or a deacon makes the sign of the cross).

Bless + us, O Lord, and these your gifts
which we are about to receive from your goodness.
Through Christ our Lord.

R. Amen.

There is a blessing of the food and a blessing of the people here.

The General Introduction to the Book of Blessings has:

“18. … d. An acolyte or a reader who by formal institution has this special office in the Church is rightly preferred over another layperson as the minister designated at the discretion of the local Ordinary to impart certain blessings.

Other laymen and laywomen, in virtue of the universal priesthood, a dignity they possess because of their baptism and confirmation, may celebrate certain blessings, as indicated in the respective orders of blessings, by use of the rites and formularies designated for a lay minister. Such laypersons exercise this ministry in virtue of their office (for example, parents on behalf of their children) or by reason of some special liturgical ministry or in fulfillment of a particular charge in the Church, as is the case in many places with religious or catechists appointed by the decision of the local Ordinary, [footnote 28: See Vatican Council II, Constitution on the Liturgy Sacrosanctum Concilium, art. 79] after ascertaining their proper pastoral formation and prudence in the apostolate.

But whenever a priest or a deacon is present, the office of presiding should be left to him.”

Another example, Chapter 24, Order for the Blessing of Tools or Other Equipment for Work. It has “921 The present order may be used by a priest or deacon. It may also be used by a layperson, who follows the rites and prayers designated for a lay minister.”

[Excerpts from the English translation of Book of Blessings, edition approved for the United States of America, © 1987, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation. All rights reserved.]

thanks for the info

From the Catechism:

CCC 1669 Sacramentals derive from the baptismal priesthood: every baptized person is called to be a “blessing,” and to bless. [174] Hence lay people may preside at certain blessings; the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more is its administration reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priests, or deacons). [175]

[174] Cf. Gen 12:2; Lk 6:28; Rom 12:14; 1 Pet 3:9.
[175] Cf. SC 79; CIC, can. 1168; De Ben 16,18.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.