Can Deacons bless marriages in the church?

My husband and I were married outside the catholic church . I’m roman catholic and my husband is a unbaptized Methodist. We were both married before. We both had those marriages annulled. My husband came into the church this past Easter Vigil. Then we had our marriage blessed in the catholic church. What I want to know is it right if a ordained Deacon does the blessing of our marriage. I’ve read where only ordained priest are to do the marriages. I am concerned about this. please respond. Thank you.

Code of Canon Law (emphasis added):

Can. 1108 §1. Only those marriages are valid which are contracted before the local ordinary, pastor, or a priest or **deacon **delegated by either of them…

Can. 1111 §1. As long as they hold office validly, the local ordinary and the pastor can delegate to priests and **deacons **the faculty, even a general one, of assisting at marriages within the limits of their territory.

Yes, a deacon can validly witness the exchange of vows for marriage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.