Can denying yourself for positive reasons be offered up?

This might be a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.:confused: If you are exercising or following a healthy diet for reasons of improving your health and well-being, can the "sufferings" of the physical discomfort of working out, or the self-denial when you want that large hot fudge sundae, be a form of mortification? Or, since you are getting a benefit here on earth, is the improvement of your health the only benefit you are getting?:shrug:

I would say anything that is against the will of your flesh can be offered up! It's not easy to diet, even if it is healthy for you. By all means, offer up any discomfort, trial, suffering, unpleasantry you have!!!! For all our sakes! :o

I have a gluten issue, so can I give up Cake, cookies, pie and pastry during Lent and call that an offering?
I don't think so.
In the reverse, doing good for your health for the benefit of your health is its own reward.

As with the widow giving the two coins to the Temple treasury (Mark 12:42), we are not called to give (or forego) from our surplus, but from our necessity. Think: fast.

As long as you are suffering, and you know if you are, then it can be a worthy offering, even if you are not doing it for the purpose of making an offering. That has never been a requirement for sacrifice, and the Church does not teach so. Even those who are ill, handicapped, or injured can offer up their sufferings. My wife gets VA disability for her hips and back pain, but that doesn't mean she can't offer up her suffering for God, even if she is compensated here. (She'd rather not have the pain anyways)

Whenever you deny yourself, it can always be offered. Even if the denial has a temporal motive, the effects can still be seen on the spiritual side, in this case, your discipline. As long as it is not a sin, you're okay.

I have always been advised to do what I am supposed to do and offer it up. By priests in confession. Good enough for me.

Betsy

Incidentally, there are a number of prayers that offer up our joys as well as sufferings. For instance, the Apostleship of Prayer daily offering prayer:O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,* I offer You my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings** of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer, and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.