Can divorced catholics receive the Eucharist?

What are the rules ? What would prevent them from ?

Yes, a divorced Catholic who is in a state of grace can receive the Eucharist and fully participate in the life of the Chuch.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:320346"]
Yes, a divorced Catholic who is in a state of grace can receive the Eucharist and fully participate in the life of the Chuch.

[/quote]

I thought so .... an annulment is pending in this case.

As long as recipent is fully confessed ... and as Christ taught, "go and sin no more" ... I would think the Church would certainly allow.

CCC 1650 Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ - "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"158 The Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God's law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.

[quote="JM3, post:4, topic:320346"]
CCC 1650 Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ - "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"158 The Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God's law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.

[/quote]

So, while the annulment is pending, ....they can receive Eucharist, if fully confessed ?

But, if later the Annul is declined by Church ....they must not remarry, and if so, then they can receive Eucharist, by staying unmarried ?

Yes. If a Catholic gets a divorce, then they're good as long as they still keep their marriage vows. (as in, no dating or anything until the annulment goes through.)

[quote="brb3, post:5, topic:320346"]
So, while the annulment is pending, ....they can receive Eucharist, if fully confessed ?

But, if later the Annul is declined by Church ....they must not remarry, and if so, then they can receive Eucharist, by staying unmarried ?

[/quote]

Yes, and if they got a divorce and got remarried before seeking an annulment, then they must vow to live as brother and sister with their new civil spouse before they can be placed in a state of grace again to receive the Eucharist, and can only resume living as husband and wife once a declaration of nullity is granted.

[/quote]

Yes, presuming that they are living in accordance with the married state -- meaning that they are not out on the dating market waiting for the annulment to come through.

Right. Theologically speaking, they cannot remarry, at least until the spouse dies.

[quote="JM3, post:4, topic:320346"]

[/quote]

So, if I go to confession and confess that I'm an adulteress because I didn't get my first marriage annulled before I remarried civilly then I'm good to receive communion as long as I do not have sex with my present husband.....am I reading that correctly? Do I need to talk to a priest about this before I go to confession or am I good on that too?

[quote="Shelly2558, post:9, topic:320346"]
So, if I go to confession and confess that I'm an adulteress because I didn't get my first marriage annulled before I remarried civilly then I'm good to receive communion as long as I do not have sex with my present husband.....am I reading that correctly? Do I need to talk to a priest about this before I go to confession or am I good on that too?

[/quote]

Talk to your priest.

[/quote]

You need to talk with your confessor and do as he advises. There are also potential issues of scandal that must be considered.

[/quote]

Yes - as long as they continue to behave in every way like a married person whose spouse is not living with them.

They would continue to behave like a married person whose spouse is not living with them.

[/quote]

You are not reading that correctly. Any such directive regarding your reception of communion must come from your pastor.

[/quote]

No - it's a lot more complex than that, in your situation. You need to get a sit-down appointment with a priest and find out what your options are. Do not rely on the Internet for information in such a delicate situation.

I did check with my priest.....and I was right! I just had to confess to committing adultery and not have sex with my present husband and I am good to go to communion. I also have started the annulment process of my first marriage and as soon as that is annulled I can have my present marriage blessed and things can go back to normal between my husband and I. I have a very understanding hubby, I am so lucky he supports me in my decision to go back to the Catholic Church!!!! And by the way....I WAS NOT RELYING ON THE INTERNET FOR AN ANSWER I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS IS WHERE CATHOLICS COULD GO TO ASK QUESTIONS WITHOUT BEING RIDICULED. THE NAME OF THIS SITE IS AFTER ALL CATHOLIC ANSWERS :(

[quote="Shelly2558, post:15, topic:320346"]
I did check with my priest.....and I was right! I just had to confess to committing adultery and not have sex with my present husband and I am good to go to communion. I also have started the annulment process of my first marriage and as soon as that is annulled I can have my present marriage blessed and things can go back to normal between my husband and I. I have a very understanding hubby, I am so lucky he supports me in my decision to go back to the Catholic Church!!!! And by the way....I WAS NOT RELYING ON THE INTERNET FOR AN ANSWER I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS IS WHERE CATHOLICS COULD GO TO ASK QUESTIONS WITHOUT BEING RIDICULED. THE NAME OF THIS SITE IS AFTER ALL CATHOLIC ANSWERS :(

[/quote]

I'm glad you got your priest's permission to receive Holy Communion! :-)

General questions can be answered anonymously but none of us has the authority to give you permissions that only your own pastor can give. I hope that helps!

[quote="Shelly2558, post:15, topic:320346"]

[/quote]

Well, yes and no.

There are correct answers here; there are also incorrect answers (called opinions, not facts). Please don't feel ridiculed; I don't think that is anyone's intent.

There are times where someone asks a question, and the answer appears to be correct; the only problem is that there are other issues/circumstances/facts that were not included in the original question and the answerers did not think to ask enough qualifying questions to be able to answer correctly. and that is neither the questioner's fault or the answerer; but someone trained in the issues (a priest, deacon, or someone trained to deal with that type of question) usually will have enough training to understand that there may be more that has to be known before a correct answer may be given.

God bless you and welcome back!

I have been reading many threads along these same ones because I am in a similar circumstance. Although I think I am not so lucky as the OP is…

However I do have a question:
It seems that some posters imply that a priest is not necessarily a pastor. I might be reading into the language, but I’ve gotten this impression several times.
Is there a difference!

Yes, there is. In terms of the organization of the Church, a pastor is a priest who is in charge of a parish. There are lots of priests who do other things (the #2 guy at a parish; running a diocesan tribunal; working at the Vatican; being a seminary rector; being a contemplative monk), and these priests are not, canonically speaking, pastors. Of course, the Latin word pastor really means “shepherd,” and in an informal sense it is definitely true that every priest ought to try to be a pastor. But in church law terms, only a priest who heads a parish is called a pastor.

Thank you. You learn something everyday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.