Can/Do Muslims pray the "Our Father"?

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked and answered. I did a search of the forums, but did not come up with anything. (Maybe I didn’t search right?:blush: )

Please note that this is a genuine question, not intended to start bashing Muslims.

Anyhow, my understanding is that Muslims revere Jesus’s mother and respect Jesus as a prophet of God. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.) As such, do Muslims then pray the “Our Father” since Jesus taught us to pray that? If not, why not?

Are there any other specific teachings of Jesus that Muslims practice or follow? If so, which ones? If not, why not?

Thank you in advance for your responses.:slight_smile:

Muslims are not permitted to perform any specific acts of worship which the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) did not do himself or at least advised his family and companions (may Allah be pleased with them) to do.

As to how Muslims follow Prophet Jesus (pbuh), kindly refer to this thread of which the following are the relevant posts:

1, 2, 4, 5, 60, 76, 101, 129, 153, 154

How did Muhammed know which practices/teachings to follow? Are they only what Allah commanded him to include in the Koran? Why aren’t all of Jesus’ teachings included, such as praying the “Our Father”? Sorry, but I am totally confused.:confused: :blush:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was taught by the Archangel Gabriel and there is a good reason why the “Lord’s prayer” was not one of the things that was taught to him.

In the international news magazine, Newsweek, which carried an article entitled ‘O Lord, Who Wrote Thy Prayer?’, a group of theologians from the major Protestant sects, along with noted Roman Catholic Biblical scholars in the United States, after a detailed examination of the earliest manuscripts of the New Testament, concluded that the only words of the “Lord’s prayer” that can be accurately attributed to Jesus Christ is “father”. That is, according to these learned church scholars, all the words that came after the beginning phrase, “Our father”, of the most fundamental Christian prayer, were added centuries later by church scribes who copied the early manuscripts of the Gospels.

hello,

1- Your understanding is correct.

2- we don’ pray ‘’ The Lords prayer’’ in specific but we pray similar ones. Muslims can pray any prayer as long as its core meaning doesn’t negate any teaching of Islam.

3- There si a lot of prayers that are incorporated in Islam due to hem bieng said by prophets of God . However they will be the prayers that is mentioned they said in the Quran .

Thank you for your polite question and for reminding others not to bash us . If you have other questions please post them and i will try my best Best regards ,

Meedo

Hello,

Jesus is a central figrue in Islam. His role is even more important than just providing prayers. In his teaching and life we learn about a man who was sent to a nation that practiced the letter of their faith and mostly forgot the soul. We see him in his struggle to exlain o them how o balance both. He isn’t sent to a naion that starts from Zero. He is sent to reform this nation from its rigid thinking. The most difficult task for a Prophet.

Jesus is the only person whom would God allow to come near judgement day . Hos role would be to explain his real identity , kill the antichrist , and live to die like all mortals did .

Muslims believe that Jesus is the Messiah. However our understanding of the messiah si different than in Christianity.

Messiah can be traced back o its root , the word ‘’ Masaha’’ which means ‘’ to brush ‘’ or ‘‘to wipe’’. This is because hs used to brush his blessed hand over the wounds and the sick abnd cure them by God’s invested power .

There seems to be confusion that the word means ‘’ king’’ . However , my understabnding that kings times nearby would be annointed by some oil or liquid in a cvertain ceremony. So i think that teh words became confused and messiah directly began to be translated to ‘‘King’’ or such similar titles of stature.

The root of the word is simply ‘’ ‘‘to brush’’ ( with ones hand over somthing)

best reagrds

Meedo

Thank you very much for your responses.:slight_smile:

From what I have read, I think Islam regards Allah as more distant from mankind than Christianity does. It seems to have a much more master-servant relationship as opposed to the Christian parent-child setting. Thus “Our Father” would seem to an be overly familiar form of address.

Just my impressions from a very limited background.

That article was based upon a group of evil heretics known as the Jesus Seminar people. They teach that there have never been any miracles at all, including the Resurection. They are self-serving fools who want to degrade the faith in Christ to the same thing as pop-psychology and philosophy.

By the way, they also deny that Muhammed was ever visited by anyone.

Hi,

Some people like to believe that we are that. It makes them feel better about what they believe in. it is simply not the case.

I myself had a spiritual journey to my own faith. i was non practicing muslim. Knew nothing about my faith. When i started to have questions and needed answers , i found them all in Islam. I fealt the sweetness of faith and closeness to what God wants one to be. Ofcourse that doesnt last because i was at college at that time and i was free to live a semi monk life. Now that i work full time and stay late i don’t have the enough time to read and contemplate on Gods words as before. But i still remember teh serenity and peace of mind. 13 years on afer my spiritual experience , i feal more beleiving than ever. Thank God for that .

All the best ,

Meedo

will you change your mind when you read:

Narrated AbudDarda’:
I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say: If any of you is suffering from anything or his brother is suffering, he should say: Our Lord is Allah Who is in the heaven, holy is Thy name, Thy command reigns supreme in the heaven and the earth, as Thy mercy in the heaven, make Thy mercy in the earth; forgive us our sins, and our errors; Thou art the Lord of good men; send down mercy from Thy mercy, and remedy, and remedy from Thy remedy on this pain so that it is healed up. (Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 28, Number 3883)

Thank you for the correction. - Joe

hamba2han,

After reading and reflecting on some of the links you shared about how Muslims follow Jesus, I noticed that most of them are items from the Old Testament that you are claiming Jesus just followed or allowed. (I’ll have to completely disagree with the polygamy one although I’m sure that’s for another thread.:wink: ) I suppose I was looking more for actual teachings of Jesus from his public ministry, i.e. the “Our Father”, the Beatitudes, any of the parables he gave etc. Do Muslims acknowledge or follow anything that Jesus specifically taught as to how to get to the Kingdom of Heaven?

Thank you. (Anyone please feel free to respond, this wasn’t just for hamba2han. I was just acknowledging his/her post.)

It reminds me of the forum where Scot Hann spoke with a Muslim Imam regarding their respective religion.

[INDENT]Scot Hann was about to say that God is “… like a father”, when the Imam abruptly interrupted him and said loudly, “No, God is not a father. He is a master and we are his creations, his slaves. We are made to serve him and under his disposal”.

Scot Hann said, “Would that be like a dog and its master?”

“Yes,” the Imam said, “like a dog. A dog lives for the master’s purpose. If the dog should die for the master’s cause, then it is dispensable".[/INDENT]

A Muslim will never call God father. Some Muslims think that if God is a father, then he must have a wife and a son, which is not like God.

It is true, Muslims relationship with Allah is a slave-master relationship. More often than not they refer to themselves in a slave-master term when referring to their relationship with Allah.

a Christian refers to Jesus as "my older brother"
with Mother of God,I think he made it a Family show !!

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) taught his followers very many du’a or supplications throughout the 23 years of his prophethood.

The one that you have quoted is meant as a medicinal remedy and comes from the Book of Medicine (Kitab Al-Tibb) in Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 28.

If it appears to be similar to the ‘Lord’s prayer’, then I would think that it says quite a bit about the healing powers of prayer.

isn’t it strange that what Muhammad said resembles strikingly what the church “added” according to the “learned” scholars you quoted?

Credit these particular scribes then for copying as accurately as they could the early manuscripts of the Gospels as far as the ‘Lord’s prayer’ is concerned.

Now the big question is --> What else is to be found in these early manuscripts of the Gospels that these particular scribes copied from?

BTW, Muslims know the names of the scribes who wrote the original copy of the Qur’an.

Do Christians know the names of these particular scribes who copied the early manuscriptss of the Gospels in order to write the ‘Lord’s prayer’?

I have never said that everything that is found in the Bible is wrong or corrupted.

And I am always open for correction BTW… as long as you show me authentic evidences in the scriptures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.