Can either of these people be a godmother?

There are two people in my family who might come up as potential godmothers for our (future) children.
I would like to know if they can take that role, since I am not sure.

Person 1
Got married and divorced, but the ex-husband died.
After that she had a relationship, but she did not marry that man. He also died.
The lady is a Catholic and has not had other relationships since.

Person 2
Separated, going through divorce. (Husband left, it was not her choice.)
Has not had relationships since then, does not date.
She is a cafeteria Catholic, not practicing. (To me that alone should be enough, but I would like your opinion.)

In our country people are often allowed to serve as godparents without proper sacraments.
(And no, I don’t mean Christian witness, I checked, unfortunately the rules are often bent and ignored, or no one asks about sacraments of the potential godparent.)
However, even if some priest might allow it, I would not want such a situation and I would rather we choose someone else if they are not suitable.

To be a godparent someone must “be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on” (canon 874 §1, 3).

If person 2 is not a practicing Catholic then clearly she is not leading a life of faith that would fulfill the requirement. Person 1, if confirmed and practicing the faith, would most certainly be eligible to be a godparent. Divorce alone is not a disqualifying situation, and besides, that marriage bond has ceased with the death of her husband.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.