Can God cancel the Absolution in certain cases?

Synod. The German Bishops Are Putting the Cart Before the Horse
chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1351043?eng=y

“We are not a subsidiary of Rome. Every episcopal conference is responsible for pastoral care in its own cultural context, and must preach the Gospel in its own original way. We cannot wait for a synod to tell us how we must shape the pastoral care of marriage and the family.”
Feb 25, 2015
Cardinal Reinhard Marx
Archbishop of Munich
President of the German Episcopal Conference

Some interesting quotes from the link above: chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1351043?eng=y

Most Catholics accept homo sexual relationships if the partners practice values such as love, faithfulness, responsibility for one another and reliability, but they do not thereby place homosexual partnerships on the same footing as marriage.

Not only do the German bishops approve of giving absolution and communion to the divorced and remarried, but they also express the hope that civil second marriages be blessed in church, that Eucharistic communion also be given to non-Catholic spouses, that the goodness of homosexual relationships and same-sex unions be recognized.

In almost all the dioceses of Germany, sacramental absolution and Eucharistic communion are given to the divorced and remarried, as already made clear by a previous document from the German episcopal conference, approved on June 24, 2014 and proudly exhibited in Rome at last October’s session of the synod on the family.

Based on the article above, this could happen in German confessional:

GERMAN PENITENT:
Father, my last confession was a year ago. I married my catholic ex-wife 2 years ago in the Catholic church & I got divorced 9 months ago. Then without any annulment, I got REmarried with my new wife who is a protestant in her Baptist church. About 2 months ago, I had an office affair with my co-worker who is a gay. I have ended that homosexual relationship. I want to go back to my second protestant wife and start receiving the communion again. I also ASK FOR the forgiveness of MY OTHER SINS that I DID NOT REALIZE & COULD NOT REMEMBER. That’s all my sins, father.

GERMAN CONFESSOR:
Marital affair is always sinful whether it happens during the first or second marriage but homosexual relationship, in and of itself, is not sinful as long as both homosexuals can practice values such as love, faithfulness, responsibility for one another and reliability. It is good that you decide to end your affair. Now for your penitence, please say 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary, & 1 Glory Be. Now please pray the Act of Contrition.

**GERMAN PENITENT: **Act of contrition

GERMAN CONFESSOR:
God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

THREE QUESTIONS:

1. Will God honor the sacramental absolution for that GERMAN PENITENT knowing that Both GERMAN PENITENT & CONFESSOR favor homosexual relationship as not sinful in and of itself as long as both partners “Practice values such as love, faithfulness, responsibility for one another and reliability.” ?

2. Will God honor the sacramental absolution for that GERMAN PENITENT knowing that The GERMAN PENITENT believes that there is nothing wrong/sinful with his second marriage that happened without any annulment for his previous marriage and because of that he will enjoy the conjugal act with his second wife “as usual”?

3. Will God honor the sacramental absolution for that GERMAN PENITENT (regardless of whatever is his disbelief and ignorance of divorce & remarry, homosexual relationship & sacrilege) AFTER the penitent says: “I also ASK FOR the forgiveness of MY OTHER SINS that I DID NOT REALIZE & COULD NOT REMEMBER” ?

Thanks!

I’m probably ignorant of lots of the things going on in this situation, but I’ll put in my opinion - anyone feel free to correct me if I’ve made any mistakes.

Requiring the priest to have a perfect understanding of Catholic teaching, so that he is not even a material heretic, sounds a bit like Donatism to me. God is acting through the priest’s office, and if the priest has been properly ordained, it doesn’t matter whether the priest is heretical, and the penitent is absolved. The priest is certainly sinning in giving evil advice to the penitent, however; if he has invincible ignorance, it would only be venial, though.

I think if the penitent is a material heretic with invincible ignorance on the issue of homosexuality, and is truly contrite, then he will be absolved. Also, any sins on his part concerning homosexuality would likely be venial, since he does not have full knowledge of the gravity of his sins.

That being said - the Church has made its position on this topic very clear, so I find it hard to imagine a scenario like this.

Again - I probably have made some sort of error, so feel free to correct me!

According to the more common and more probable opinion, the contrition of the penitent is the quasimatter of the sacrament, so that without true, supernatural contrition, the absolution is invalid.

One needs to be repentant of their sins in order for absolution to be valid.
Whether one believes a sin is not a sin, is not a sin in it’s self per say. It is knowing that a sin is a sin is what matters the most. The spirit will protest but the mind can shut Him out and make believe it’s all okay soon enough the Spirit is silenced and that’s when things go downhill.

[quote=fbl9]It is knowing that a sin is a sin is what matters the most.
[/quote]

I think all of the cardinals know that receiving the communion for divorced and remarried is always sinful and yet with all their pastoral reasoning, they decide, for the sake of pastoral care, that from now on, it is not sinful anymore as long as … (their justification) even to the point of changing the dogma of the indissolubility of the marriage.

Vatican City, Aug 5, 2014 / 02:06 am (CNA/EWTN News).- In a book-length interview, Cardinal Gerhard Mueller has underscored that the indissolubility of the marriage is no mere doctrine, but a dogma of the Church, and stressed the need to recover the sacramental understanding of marriage and family.
catholicnewsagency.com/news/marriages-indissolubility-a-dogma-cardinal-clarifies-33479/

In my opinion as a layperson, the problem I see is with #2. The person confessing is not sorry for entering a state of adultery with this woman, nor does he have have any intention of amendment, ie, changing that situation. If the priest knows this is a second civil marriage which he has the intention of continuing, the priest should *not *absolve his sins until he is sorry enough to end that relationship.

But whether the priest is aware or not, the man who is confessing has an intention of renewing the adulterous relationship, so he is invalidating the absolution.

Number 1… I will be interested ti hear what people think about believing something…

Number 3, well, that’s a good thing :slight_smile: I often end by saying “For these and all the sins of my past life, I am most heartily sorry,” and that is from our (old) catechism.

Amen, I wish that was taught more strongly instead of all this, I’m OK your OK, stuff. It’s NOT OK with God and it’s wrong for us to let them think so. The Church will NEVER change it’s Doctrine. Never has, never will, no matter how many Bishops, priests or people try to insist. God Bless, Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.