Can God forgive a person

who is just too scared? I’m an absolute idiot. I wanted to convert to Catholocism but my anxiety problems are flaring up to much to the point where I just want to turn around and run away and never come back. I’m scared, absolutely scared of everything, I’m scared of standing in front of the whole Church to be welcomed into the Church, I’m scared of confession, I’m just plain scared of going to Church.

If I just never go again but try my best to please God, do you think he could forgive me?

Perhaps you should talk privately with a priest on being able to join under more comfortable circumstances. Talk to him also about confession. You know that it can be 100% anonymous, right? :slight_smile:

God alone can judge your heart, and see the level of culpability for action or inaction. Psychological factors do matter. When you face your fears, think of it as the cross you bear in the imitation of Christ.

[quote=Shinobu]who is just too scared? I’m an absolute idiot. I wanted to convert to Catholocism but my anxiety problems are flaring up to much to the point where I just want to turn around and run away and never come back. I’m scared, absolutely scared of everything, I’m scared of standing in front of the whole Church to be welcomed into the Church, I’m scared of confession, I’m just plain scared of going to Church.

If I just never go again but try my best to please God, do you think he could forgive me?
[/quote]

If you ask and you are sincere, He will forgive you. No questions asked. Have faith, because only He has the power to do such things, and God will as long as you are willing to accept Him, because He understands exactly what you are going through and knows you are not perfect.

Also, talk to a priest about your anxiety. I do hope you decide to convert. I’ll say a prayer for you.

Eamon

Hello

God is forgiving, like the others mentioned, your anxiety will disappear and things will become clear.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

we’re all scared of confession in one way or the other, at some time or other … join the crowd.

Reading on Divine Mercy might help you. \

From the diary -

**[size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=7][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=3][font=Palatino Linotype][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4] “My Heart is sorrowful”, [size=3] Jesus said, " [size=4] because even chosen souls do not understand the greatness of My mercy. Their relationship (with Me) is, in certain ways, imbued with mistrust. Oh, how much that wounds my Heart! Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds."

[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]****[size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][font=Comic Sans MS][size=7][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=6][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=5][font=Monotype Corsiva][size=3][font=Palatino Linotype][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4] My daughter, tell the whole world about My inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day are open all the divine floodgates through which graces flow. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will contemplate my love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]**

Anxiety is pretty normal and God’s grace will lead you through it. All you have to do is make the effort and things will fall into place. Attend RCIA classes ask lots of questions, pray about it and take it as it comes. Don’t rush into it and don’t panic away from it. Just go in easy; with facts and familiarity anxiety fades away like a light dispelling the darkness. Let God’s grace be your light in the darkness…

[quote=Shinobu]who is just too scared? I’m an absolute idiot. I wanted to convert to Catholocism but my anxiety problems are flaring up to much to the point where I just want to turn around and run away and never come back. I’m scared, absolutely scared of everything, I’m scared of standing in front of the whole Church to be welcomed into the Church, I’m scared of confession, I’m just plain scared of going to Church.

[/quote]

I have often heard that when someone is in the last stage of conversion, satan breaks out all the big guns. Stand fast Shinobu! This is the hardest part. God bless you.

simply put, go for it. fear is a tool of satan. remember to yourself, the psalms and God telling us (in one of my favorite church hymns): “Be not afraid, I go before you always. Come follow me…”

Shinobu, I’m right about where you are now and I had another panic attack today when I learned that weekday Mass is held in (GASP!) the Chapel!!! Oh noooo!!! Not ANOTHER new Church experience to go through!!! What Do I do now??? I just got used to Sunday Mass!!! I still managed to get in there, though and was immediately put at ease by the surroundings, and I felt so much better after conquering yet another fear. I’ve backed out of a lot of things in my life simply because I was afraid! It’s amazing how simple things can be after you’ve accomplished something. I’ve started to say to myself whenever I feel panicked: “What could happen to me if I do/don’t go through with this?” Unless it’s a loss of limb or life, then you really have nothing to fear.

Dear Shinobu,

I’ve all the “lovely” symptoms and syndromes that are part and parcel of the whole panic disorder package. It’s a totally irrational disorder, isn’t it? I know what it feels like to be scared of everything and I’m so sorry to hear when someone else has it. Anxiety can be a life-killer.

I’m agoraphobic to the point that I have often been confined to the top floor of my house. Going to the grocery store is sometimes unthinkable, though I can usually manage the bookstore or a craft store, as long as I’ve got someone “safe” with me.

The evil one has considered me one of his for so long and he was not happy to have me even acknowledge that Jesus Christ is indeed my Lord and Savior. I had some real trouble after my first confession, doubting the validity of my confession and even the validity of the absolution, which I believe in with my whole heart! The evil one does not like me spending so much time in prayer, so much time reading the lives of the saints, history of the church, the Catechism, etc.

But, he is easily frightened. I cross myself with holy water and kiss the feet of Christ, crucified when the evil one starts rattling the chains that used to bind me. St. Michael’s prayer and the Jesus prayer are often on my lips.

Think of Jesus walking beside you every step of the way. Ask Him to help you and be assured that He is helping you, even if you’re uncomfortable.

Don’t listen to those doubts and anxieties. We tend to obsess with them, but if you can instead just let them pass through your mind and observe them and then look to Jesus, the pain of those thoughts will flee.

It would be in someone’s best interests if you were to be denied the peace and joy of mass and confirmation and the other sacraments. Don’t give in, because it would certainly be in** your** best interests in to partake of them all! They could add so much to your life.

I will pray for you, fellow anxious person. We don’t have to let this thing beat us down and deprive us of anything.

Elizabeth

Thank you for your prayers.

I just can’t think that it’s Satan who is giving me panic attacks to prevent me from becoming Catholic. I’ve had panic attacks for 4 years and also was told by my doctor that I had social anxiety. It was actually my anxiety problems that led me to the Church in a way, because I was looking for peace and also a closer relationship with God because the first panic attack I had I honestly felt like I was going to die.

I think I am stressed because it is honestly just alot on my plate. In some ways I just feel like I am getting myself in over my head. Thank you for the suggestion of asking for a more discreet method of being welcomed into the Church, I want to avoid that though because I don’t want to be a burden.

Sometimes a person just needs a good vent. Thank you for listening.

Elizabeth, I am sorry that you have this as well. I will keep you in my prayers.

Look, after 50 years, I’m taking two medications that have
mightily reduced anxiety, obsessive-compulsive behavior etc.
It took 10 years to find the right combination and the right
dosage of same, for me to feel a lot better. *

I sleep well, noise, movement, light don’t bother me nearly
as much as they have done for all these decades.
I find it easier to do the regular shopping, socialize, etc.

I pray to God and I see a physician.

Oh, my sainted aunt!
This is 2005, not 1305.

reen12*

Here’s a good rule of thumb.
Anything that causes you major disturbance, is from the evil one.

stress, fear, anxiety, anger, depression, etc = satan

love, peace, joy, compassion, charity, etc = God

GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST!
GLORY FOREVER!

[quote=Mickey]Here’s a good rule of thumb.
Anything that causes you major disturbance, is from the evil one.

stress, fear, anxiety, anger, depression, etc = satan

love, peace, joy, compassion, charity, etc = God

GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST!
GLORY FOREVER!
[/quote]

I do not understand. Then why did my anxiety disorder bring me to the Church? Why is it so many times when there are catastophies in the world do people come to the Church? If it was truely the work of Satan, wouldn’t it cause people to run away from the Church? When there are earthquakes or such, when there are plagues, why does this bring people closer to God? God became angry at his people when they do not listen to him. Anger cannot be from Satan (at least not all anger).

[quote=Shinobu]I do not understand. Then why did my anxiety disorder bring me to the Church? Why is it so many times when there are catastophies in the world do people come to the Church? If it was truely the work of Satan, wouldn’t it cause people to run away from the Church? When there are earthquakes or such, when there are plagues, why does this bring people closer to God? God became angry at his people when they do not listen to him. Anger cannot be from Satan (at least not all anger).
[/quote]

You were brought to the Church by the Holy Spirit to find peace. People are drawn to the Church to heal and pray— to partake of the Sacraments–to experiences the fullness of Christian faith. Of course satan will increase your stress once you approach the Church, because he does not want you to be there–but he will not win in the end.

I think you know what I mean by anger. I’m speaking of the human passion–The type of anger that is detrimental to our souls. I know, I know, Jesus got angry in the temple when he overturned the tables—there are not many circumstances when anger is justified–but this was one of them. Remember, we are told to turn the other cheek.

[/quote]

Get a friend to go with you, or call the parish office and ask for someone to accompany you. Nothing worthwhile is attained without effort. Just don’t give up.

God Bless.

Can God forgive a person? Yes.

All I needed to read of the question was “can God blah blah” and the answer is Yes.

Alan

Thank you for your replies. I’m feeling alot better now. I just get days (or weeks or months heh) where my panic flares up and causes me to want to run and hide from everything. I’m going to continue on with whatever God wants me to do. I appreciate all of those who read my venting.

Thank you

don’t worry, shinobu! we’re praying for you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.