Can he still be a priest?

I asked this in the main apologetics forum, but I don’t know if they will answer it so I will ask all of you good people as well.

I have a friend who at one time disagreed with Papal Infallibility, but believed in everything else catholic. He was ordained as a priest by an independent bishop who has apostoloic lines through the Duarte-Costa out of Brazil (Apostolic Catholic Church of Brazil). He has been a priest for several years

About a year ago, he finally saw the light about Papal Infallibility, and now teaches everything in line with the Roman Catholic Church. So now the question is, if he kept celebrating Mass, would Roman Catholics be allowed to go, or does he have to join a diocese? If he must join a diocese or religious order, what would be involved with that, and finally, would the Roman Catholic church allow him to keep performing his duties as a priest?

Thank you

[quote=gelsbern]I asked this in the main apologetics forum, but I don’t know if they will answer it so I will ask all of you good people as well.

I have a friend who at one time disagreed with Papal Infallibility, but believed in everything else catholic. He was ordained as a priest by an independent bishop who has apostoloic lines through the Duarte-Costa out of Brazil (Apostolic Catholic Church of Brazil). He has been a priest for several years

About a year ago, he finally saw the light about Papal Infallibility, and now teaches everything in line with the Roman Catholic Church. So now the question is, if he kept celebrating Mass, would Roman Catholics be allowed to go, or does he have to join a diocese? If he must join a diocese or religious order, what would be involved with that, and finally, would the Roman Catholic church allow him to keep performing his duties as a priest?

Thank you
[/quote]

My opinion is that if Ordained validly then he is a priest. However he has no authority to celebrate any of the Sacraments of the Catholic Church under normal circumstances. He would have to find a Bishop who would accept him, he may need to be conditionally Ordained and may even need the approval of Rome.

Apostolic Catholic Church of Brazil ?

Ordained by an “Independant” Bishop ?

This sounds very strange !

It just sounds “fishy”, he most likely is a good man but his preparation, formation and laying on of hands has to be valid to perform the duties of a Roman Catholic Priest. His Masses would be invalid if he is not truely a Priest.

I believe that I have heard that the Apostolic Church of Brazil has valid orders.

[quote=gelsbern]I asked this in the main apologetics forum, but I don’t know if they will answer it so I will ask all of you good people as well.

Thank you
[/quote]

It is best to consult a Canon Lawyer who has a working knowledge of the particulars of the Code of Canon Law. There are certain impediments to the proper reception of Holy Orders contained therein which may or may not apply in this instance.

Keep in mind also that each of us is a work in progress. Perhaps God was at work in calling this man into Holy Orders knowing that he would eventually come around on such important theological matters as Papal infallibility. If there was an impediment to the man’s ordination, it could likely be resolved positively.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.