Can I bake a strawberry pie?

Or would the strawberries get all mushy? The only recipes I've found are for strawberry-rhubarb pies, or no- bake pies. I happen to have a lot of store-bought strawberries on hand right now, but they're a bit sour, and I thought I could make a pie out of them.

It’s not proper pie, but I can get you a recipe for something delicious, simple to make and never mushy, that goes with all sorts of fruit. Let me just ask my mother for the details. :wink:

Here are some recipies:

foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=strawberry+pie&fnSearchType=site

The Neeley episode seems very easy.

I admit it, I am inept at providing links…

But if you go to www.relish.com and type fresh strawberry pie in the search box, you will find a most delicious recipe. Have made it several times, and I am not even a big strawberry fan. It uses up lots of berries. A bit of whipped cream on top… mmmmm.: :slight_smile:

Ooo, yum... a few years back, Walmart--believe it or not--carried a baked, two-crust strawberry pie in the bakery. We had a strawberry-rhubarb, which was not a great seller, but the strawberry one just flew off the shelves, even though it was priced nearly twice what other pies (apple, cherry, etc.) were selling for. And it was delicious! I'll have to try the Neely's version, it sounds wonderful!

any kind of pie is good on march 14th.:D
314 pi day!

isn't the fruit in pies always mushy? I mean, it's been cooked in some sort of syrup. I think if you'd want to leave the strawberry out, you might not want so much sugar in the filling (rhubarb needs a ton). otherwise, you can pretty much put anything in a pie.

I totally wanted a strawberry rhubarb pie the other day! I haven't had that in a long time!

overall, I'm not a picky eater. however, I do have some weird preferences, directly related to pies, such as..

1) I don't actually like pie crust. unless it's graham cracker or cookie or something. *very *rarely if it's homemade (from scratch, not just the frozen crust). I think the lard is the problem. the word sounds gross, too. what's wrong with butter??
2) most pie filling is too fake sweet for me.
3) huge amounts of artificial coloring/flavoring are only acceptable, as far as I'm concerned, in jello and bug juice. and candy. and ice pops/popsicles. and sherbert (I've made my own but I actually do prefer the fake stuff). and strawberry milk. that is, nothing that qualifies as real food. :D pie is real food, and therefore can't have fake ingredients.

I didn't used to be so picky. I remember absolutely loving drakes fruit pies (you know, the ones in wax paper you find at gas stations). in fact, the thought of those still make me drool, but I know I wouldn't like them anymore. most of the things I'm picky about now are a direct result of having the from-scratch equivalent. (or, a change in the recipe, like fruit loops and devil dogs. things don't taste so good when they try to make them healthier.) so I turned into a food snob, lol.

yeah, I'm aware of how crazy this all makes me sound.

I think I will attempt to make a pie for pi day.

Thanks for all your suggestions, but it turns out that I don’t need to make a pie after all. I rinsed the berries and left them in a colander to drain. Family members kept helping themselves to the berries, and pretty soon, there weren’t enough to make a pie with.

[quote="Catholicpotato, post:6, topic:231556"]
any kind of pie is good on march 14th.:D
314 pi day!

[/quote]

I often wonder if I'm a total weirdo for getting things like this...

Since the OP got answers and solved her problem... have you heard the joke of 2 country bumpkin fathers. Talking about their sons. When one starts bragging about his son's college education. And he says, "he's always saying smart stuff...", the other says "like what?"

"Well, for example 'pi r squared.' " The other starts laughing and he says. "That's not smart it's stupid... everyone knows pies are round."

[quote="faithfully, post:9, topic:231556"]
I often wonder if I'm a total weirdo for getting things like this...

Since the OP got answers and solved her problem... have you heard the joke of 2 country bumpkin fathers. Talking about their sons. When one starts bragging about his son's college education. And he says, "he's always saying smart stuff...", the other says "like what?"

"Well, for example 'pi r squared.' " The other starts laughing and he says. "That's not smart it's stupid... everyone knows pies are round."

[/quote]

My wife is a nerd scientist:D We do all sorts of this stuff. Here is one for you to figure out.
On october 23rd we make guacamole......

[quote="Catholicpotato, post:10, topic:231556"]
My wife is a nerd scientist:D We do all sorts of this stuff. Here is one for you to figure out.
On october 23rd we make guacamole......

[/quote]

had to google... Avogadro's number!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.