Can I be a godmother?

My niece has asked me to be godmother to her daughter. I am Catholic, was baptized as a newborn was raised Catholic, received all the sacraments. I am 59 years old. I do go to Mass, occasionally, to the same church. I give money in the collection but I do not have “envelopes.” Is there a problem with me being the godmother? If so, what will I have to do?

Godparents in the Catholic tradition are supposed to be practicing Catholics who will act as good Catholic role models for their godchildren. If you wish to treat this honor with all the solemnity it deserves, I can only recommend that you go to confession and start going to Mass on all Sundays and holy days of obligation. You might also check with your diocese to find out if there are any adult education courses in the faith available for non-practicing Catholics who are interested in becoming observant again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.