Can I be a godparent if I don't regularly attend church?

Good afternoon,

I have a question that I hope someone can assist me with. I have been recently asked to be a Godparent to my best friend’s third child. I am thrilled they’ve asked me to have this responsibility and want the job.

I was raised in a split-christian home. My father is catholic and my mother was presbyterian, which is what I was baptized. Religion always has been an confusing to me. I believe in God. I pray on a normal basis. Just not at a church. I have never felt I needed to. I am running into problems with not belonging to a church in regards to my godparent appointment.

I know what the requirements to be a godparent for a catholic child are.

1. The Godmother is catholic- Fulfilling the rule that atleast one has to be catholic and received the holy sacrament and been confirmed. CHECK
  2. The other person (me) had to been baptized into a christian faith. CHECK
  3. Needs a letter from a pastor, priest, etc saying they’re registered at a church and an active member. ISSUE

What can I do other than the obvious? I don’t really want to go into a church and act like I’m interested in joining just to get this letter? I want to be able to sleep well at night.

Any suggestions?

Rob

The following links should help answer your question about being a godparent. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What are the requirements for godparents?
Why can't non-Catholics be Catholic godparents?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.