Can I Be Absolved?

I’m a 21 year old male with SSA. Until age 19 I was maintaining a chaste life, but my freshman I met a man I “loved” and gave into temptation. I moved with this man to florida and live with him for a over a year. In August of this I ended the relationship, moved back to Kansas, and began leaving again in chastity. However we do still have some bills that are held jointly and I cant get out of them due to not be able to pays the fees to break contract. Can I be absolved of the sin of this relationship?

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
You do know that You have made a big sin,so we better start from that. I am not a priest,but I know that You need to a lot of “work” to be absolved. But that is up to a priest to say what to do.
One big issue here is that You know that the Church pray for those who are homosexual so that they get strength to live in celibacy. Gay-people are called to live in celibacy (Cateshism,finnish version 2358-2359) and therefore need our prayers. It is hard enough to live in celibacy,I know because I live in celibacy,but to know that You never will be able to “enjoy” sex. Sex,however,is only for those who are married. I will offer You one Hail Mary,and I hope You confess as soon as You can. Don’t be afraid,the priest has heard a lot worster things,but we must agree that You have done a mortal sin wich need to be absolved as quick as You can.
Believe me,I know how You must feel,but no one is angry,and God will free You from this sin if You from the bottom of Your heart and soul are honest,and mean what You say in conffession,as a christian I must beleive in that and in the mercy that comes only from God. Stay away from this man,don’t even ansver his calls nor wright to him. And every time You get “sinnfull” thoughts,pick up Your rosary,You do need to pray,but I hope You do,and hold it in Your hand untill Your urge get out of Your mind. And live in celibacy,it is not easy,but it can be done,it takes maybe time,but it is possible. All the best,and I hope You do as I told You,and do what the priest says.

Like any mortal sin, you should confess this in Confession and receive absolution, resolving to live a chaste life, as you are in fact doing.
Therefore, yes, you can be absolved if you confess in Confession.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

**2358 **The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm

1456 Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance: "All mortal sins of which penitents after a diligent self-examination are conscious must be recounted by them in confession, even if they are most secret and have been committed against the last two precepts of the Decalogue; for these sins sometimes wound the soul more grievously and are more dangerous than those which are committed openly."54
When Christ’s faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know."55 1457 According to the Church’s command, "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year."56 Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession.57

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c2a4.htm

yes, if you are repentant you can be absolved.

Any sin can be forgiven if you’re repentant and sorry. :slight_smile:

God bless.

Can you elaborate on the bills? If you’re not living together anymore, I don’t understand what these would be.

Absolution is one issue, the bills are another. You are not going to be denied absolution because you still have those bills. If you are repentant and confess your sin and resolve not to sin again in that manner, there is no reason you cannot be absolved. You don’t even need to mention the bills.

BTW, I greatly admire your courage in giving up this lifestyle. That is not easy. May God strengthen you in your choice of chastity.

CB Catholic is right.

Yes, you can be absolved.

The bills are a separate issue. May God help you speedily resolve it. You don’t have to elaborate on it in this forum.

Just go to confession. God bless you!

Of course nobody has to talk about anything here, and the OP should go to Confession.

The question is is he talking about something like a phone contract or health insurance based on a registered domestic partnership.

Either way, if there’s a concern, he should discuss it in Confession especially if he doesn’t want to provide more information here.

Sometimes people are really scrupulous, in which case they are concerned about the minutest details. And sometimes they are not entirely forthcoming about that which they are embarrassed by. Not sure why the OP is concerned about this, but I wouldn’t dismiss any concern out of hand.

Yes, you will certainly be Reconciled.

Hi… so for not responding for so long. This post got moved and I just rediscovered. I did make an appointment with my priest for a confession/counseling session. We talked about my situation and he did absolve me.

As to the bills, they are a cell phone plan and some hospital bills, but once those run out my friend and I have agreed to separate them and maintain nothing but a platonic friendship.

This video helps.
youtube.com/watch?v=K0sILSapUUc

Welcome home!

Yea!!! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.