Can I be baptized again?

Hello Fr. Vincent Serpa,

I am a Protestant and I was baptized in a Baptist church. I was rather young and I don’t remember if my baptism was done correctly or whether or not the pastor said “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

I’m worried about this because several weeks ago I watched someone get baptized and the guy went under before the pastor (not the pastor who baptized me) finished talking and the pastor didn’t get the chance to say “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”. Luckily this man had been baptized in the past.

So I was wondering if I can be baptized again whenever I join the Catholic Church. Perhaps I am being too scrupulous here.

-Thank you

The following links should help answer your question about being re-baptized. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Should I get a conditional baptism?
What if a person is unsure about the validity of his baptism?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.