Can I be close to God/in his grace without being a priest?

Hey! I want to be closer to God, but i don't know if i want to be a priest or if it's the right thing for me. I know I want to reach out to people with the faith, but on a more one-on-one level. Are there any orders that don't require one to be a priest?

[quote="RazielSchnitzel, post:1, topic:240136"]
Hey! I want to be closer to God, but i don't know if i want to be a priest or if it's the right thing for me. I know I want to reach out to people with the faith, but on a more one-on-one level. Are there any orders that don't require one to be a priest?

[/quote]

Any Catholic may be in the state of grace if he has confessed mortal sins and received absolution. And, certainly, any person can be "close to God"...look at all the Saints who were not clerics!

Pray about your vocation, and possibly look into the 3rd orders (or lay orders).

God bless,

You can be a deacon!! I know that is a huge time commitment, but it might be just what you are looking for. Or if you want to work one-on-one with folks, what about volunteering for your parish teaching a bible study or pre-cana classes (or something else--whatever your interest)?

And the best thing that you can do, I think, is to live a good Catholic life. People watch other people and you can be a good "witness" by doing that. Don't be afraid to speak about the Catholic faith if it comes up in conversation.

[/quote]

We Catholics may all receive the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, Our Lord and our God, in the Holy Eucharist, so that He abides in us. He lives in us. That's closeness, wouldn't you agree?

All can be close to God, be they in the laity or the clergy.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The way to Unity with God is through the Will of God. Every person sent into this world has a purpose and meaning from and in God - a vocation and call for their lives. It is through discerning God's Will for our lives and living it to the full that we take the road to Unity or intimate closeness to God. If one is confused or finding it difficult to discern their vocation, the way to travel is to seek wise and sound spiritual direction.

Hence anyone, clergy or laity, religious can undertake the journey to Unity and closeness to God. It is not dependant on the actual vocation but the actual vocation followed being God's Will for one's life. This is not slavery for vocation is always only ever an invitation and not a command. But an invitation from God is a very serious matter and an indication that God will gift all the Graces necessary to fulfill that call. If a person should not follow their vocation, it can be either through culpability or inculpability.

TS

Are there any orders that don't require one to be a priest?

[/quote]

Yes. Most Religious Orders consist of Lay Brothers and Priests; the only ones that don't are ones that don't allow their Brothers to be ordained (such as the Brigittine Monks). If you're looking for the chance to get close to people and show them how they can get closer to Our Lord I would suggest looking into the Passionists, the Franciscans, the Salvatorians the Dominicans, and, if you think you might be interested in monasticism instead of missionary work, the Benedictines.
As others have said, if you don't think you're called to the Religious Life, you can do parish work and/or join a Third Order.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.