Can I be convinced to not join the Catholic Church?

Right now I'm in RCIA. I intend to join the Catholic Church next year. This is something I'm not taking lightly. I pray daily and ready daily about the Church and her beliefs. In fact, everything I learn only deepens my belief that I'm making the right decision.

Here is my question/challenge: can I be convinced to not join the Church? I know this question depends greatly on me.

In other words, what are the things hardest to swallow about the Church? Or for you Catholics, have you learned something and just been like, "Whoa, I don't like that"?

I honestly don't think it's possible, but I want to know. For example, when I was joining a baptistish church it would have been very, very to convince me to not join had someone showed me some simple verses such as John 3:5 (never seems to get mentioned by people who think baptism isn't necessary for salvation).

It might be worth mentioning I'm a very logical person, or at least like to think of myself as such. I'm thoroughly enjoying Frank Sheed's Theology and Sanity. Any argument to convince me to not join will have to be very well reasoned.

[quote="danzibr, post:1, topic:306714"]
Right now I'm in RCIA. I intend to join the Catholic Church next year. This is something I'm not taking lightly. I pray daily and ready daily about the Church and her beliefs. In fact, everything I learn only deepens my belief that I'm making the right decision.

Here is my question/challenge: can I be convinced to not join the Church? .

[/quote]

Not once you know that the Eucharist is exactly what the Church says. Then what? You'd leave Jesus? Not in a million years. It would be: illogical.

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:2, topic:306714"]
Not once you know that the Eucharist is exactly what the Church says. Then what? You'd leave Jesus? Not in a million years. It would be: illogical.

[/quote]

This is one of the biggest reasons why I stay with the Church. Jesus did call for us to eat of His Flesh and His Blood, apart from obeying the Church.

To be honest, there's nothing that has been difficult for me to swallow about the Church. I've read things on what some theologians or priests had to say but I'm not required to accept it compared to say Church Doctrine or Divine Law. When I joined this Easter, I took the plunge. If I do have any doubts, it's not about the Church, but rather, it's about myself.

Here is my question/challenge: can I be convinced to not join the Church? I know this question depends greatly on me.

In other words, what are the things hardest to swallow about the Church? Or for you Catholics, have you learned something and just been like, "Whoa, I don't like that"?

I honestly don't think it's possible, but I want to know. For example, when I was joining a baptistish church it would have been very, very to convince me to not join had someone showed me some simple verses such as John 3:5 (never seems to get mentioned by people who think baptism isn't necessary for salvation).

It might be worth mentioning I'm a very logical person, or at least like to think of myself as such. I'm thoroughly enjoying Frank Sheed's Theology and Sanity. Any argument to convince me to not join will have to be very well reasoned.

[/quote]

Don't take the Church's infallibility lightly. Really challenge yourself on that one. Ultimately, whatever your feelings are about a particular issue (contraception, women's ordination, abortion, voting responsibility, divorce), you need first to be comfortable with the belief that the Catholic Church was founded by Christ and is true in all its teachings.

Not by me, I am likewise in RCIA, I have drank the “papist cool-aid” as a Presbyterian coworker put it. I will pray for you during your journey and would appreciate the same in return if you can find it in yourself to pray for me also

The greatest danger for a person such as yourself is imbibing the idea that there are not profound or serious arguments against certain Church doctrines that can cause you (or anyone) to doubt. There are serious objections that we simply do not have an answer to, or worse, we have a bad or fallacious answer/response that ultimately will only worsen the situation.

The struggle for souls like us (I am also a convert who went through RCIA and would have described myself as you have) is avoiding intellectualism masquerading as real faith.

You aren’t just believing the Church when you convert and are eventually confirmed: you are, in a sense, marrying the Church and joining her army: as in both those instances, you are making a commitment to be there through thick and thin. This will build our character and truly begin the process of serious internal or interior change; however, it does not come easy and is rarely pleasant. Exactly so, God promises us and provides us with grace, grace acquired firstly and foremostly through our prayers and through the Church’s sacraments. The Church is also praying for you now, and thanks to that you are receiving God’s grace, and the Church when you are confirmed will continue to do so for you: but, as you know, we need to have a disposition to co-operate with grace. Our own prayer life is the best way to do that.

The quote in my signature is the most profound thing I have ever learned: but I heard it years ago. I only realized its significance and full meaning later on. I recommend you prayerfully consider it also.

Eastern Orthodoxy is the biggest challenge IMHO…

[quote="capablanca911, post:7, topic:306714"]
Eastern Orthodoxy is the biggest challenge IMHO...

[/quote]

The Church's other 'lung'. :)

catholicworldreport.com/Item/1539/both_lungs.aspx

To the OP,
Be aware that as you get closer to joining it is likely that some doubts will arise. As a past RCIA sponsor I've seen some doubt creep in to most catachumens. Remember also that once you are a neophyte you will need to still be vigilant and continue your learning about the Catholic faith. A suggestion would be to do a little reading on other's conversion stories. If nothing else, this may help to solidify your decision.

I will pray that you do not have doubts in you journey.:thumbsup:

Since Catholic means universal it is not something you join anyway...you are always part of the universal body of Christ. As St. Augustine says, the real church is "the state of communion of the whole world."

[quote="tskrobacz, post:10, topic:306714"]
Since Catholic means universal it is not something you join anyway...you are always part of the universal body of Christ. As St. Augustine says, the real church is "the state of communion of the whole world."

[/quote]

I'm afraid I don't understand this. I won't be joining the Catholic Church?

[/quote]

I think understanding why contraception and gay marriage were a difficult one for me to understand. I've finally wrapped my head around what the church teaches and why, and it makes sense to me now... but I certainly can see how those teachings are a stumbling block for people. (Incidently, the reason I see them as a stumbling block is because I tend to view morality as being grounded in positive effect... to wit, good moral actions have benefits while bad moral actions have consequences. I just couldn't see the consequences for a person to use contraception... that is until I looked at the law of morality as affecting the communion of the church as a whole and understood that catholic teaching can never be divorced from the paradigm of the church as the ONE Body of Christ).

The same goes for self-abuse and pre-marital sex. I used to consider these "victimless sins" until my confessor described for me how they are so destructive to outlooks on others and their inherent worth.

So because of America's rampant heresy problem (materialism as a dominant cultural paradigm) I can see how these teachings might be difficult for some catholics to accept...

Hi danzibr,

Christ gave His Church the mission to teach and he promised that he would be with her until the end of time. Once you are convinced of this, there is no way you can not join. You will have problems with this doctrine or that doctrine. But you will stay steadfast because you will know you are on Christ's side.

You are not required to* understand* every single doctrine of the Catholic church. You are simply asked to *accep*t what she teaches. Understanding your faith is a lifetime a job... or rather a job for eternity. Get used to saying this prayer :

An Act of Faith

O my God, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three Divine Person, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; I believe that Thy Divine Son became man, and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, who canst neither deceive nor be deceived. Amen

[FONT=Calibri][size=3]What do you think?[/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][size=3]Verbum[/size][/FONT]

I am also in RCIA after God prodding me for many years. Yes I have doubts and certain teachings seem heretical, but I recognize the historical continuity and the great faith and miracles experienced by devote Catholics, as well as the deep love of Christ that shines from the leaders in my RCIA group. I am driven to want proof of everything because I am afraid of offending God, yet I could well be offending Him by NOT joining, when he has given me so many people to walk with me and answers to prayers. I am trying to walk by faith and not by sight, but by saying the Catholics are right infers that the Protestants are wrong, and there are many Protestants who I love and they love me. It is a difficult journey. I can no longer go back, knowing what I do, and yet I am at times afraid to go forward.

[/quote]

...it is difficult to say what could convince you not to join the Body of Christ... it all depends upon your upbringing and your personal conviction that you are truly seeking a greater closeness (intimacy) with Christ which only being in the Fullness of Faith can offer you.

If there are things that trouble you, please feel free to ask... I'm sure more than one convert will be happy to share his/her experience with that/those particular issue/s; personally, I can only see clear and calm seas ahead! Welcome Home! :hug3:

Maran atha!

Angel

[quote="Radyj, post:5, topic:306714"]
Not by me, I am likewise in RCIA, I have drank the "papist cool-aid" as a Presbyterian coworker put it. I will pray for you during your journey and would appreciate the same in return if you can find it in yourself to pray for me also

[/quote]

...thanks for sharing... lol!

I pray that God's Holy Spirit guides all who are truly seeking Christ into humble obedience to His Command that we all be one!

May the Holy Spirit Guide you and strengthen your resolve each and every step of the way!

Maran atha!

Angel

[quote="capablanca911, post:7, topic:306714"]
Eastern Orthodoxy is the biggest challenge IMHO...

[/quote]

...but even that is a huge lump... how about breaking it into workable parts... what issue/s do you have/see that could cause doubt in the quest for Truth?

Maran atha!

Angel

[quote="tskrobacz, post:10, topic:306714"]

[/quote]

...but we must be careful not to take things out of context... was St. Augustine aware that there would be over 30K non-Catholic groups vying for the attention of those seeking the Truth or was he speaking about the One Faith, One Baptism, One Gospel Church?

Maran atha!

Angel

[quote="danzibr, post:11, topic:306714"]
I'm afraid I don't understand this. I won't be joining the Catholic Church?

[/quote]

Yes... I think it is some sort of break down akin to America: though most in the US believe that America means the US and its territories, others know that there's North America (US) and Latin America (Central and South America); while the Church recognizes that the separated bretheren (Eastern, Orthodox, Protestants) are still part of the Catholic (Universal) Church, she maintains that the Fullness of Faith lies with the Church that has maintained the Word, Sacred Tradition, and the Succession of the Apostles.

...so don't be lead astray by speculative narratives and propositions!

May the Holy Spirit instill His Gaze upon your spirit and Guide you to the Truth!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/quote]

You are on an incredible spiritual journey.There are so many good reason for the fullness of the Catholic Faith, some posted here.When you see the beauty of Christ Bride, you will truly feel it such a peace, to be part of the Faith.No other Faith has the Chair of Peter to guide us in spiritual and moral matters. The Sacraments to give us supernatural grace.The Eucharist,were we actually eat the Sacrifice, the Lamb of God, not just a Lamb shaped cookie.It is such a super natural moment, when you are one with Jesus in the Eucharist. It is a consumation of the Wedding Feast, not just an engagement.It is so beautiful beyond anything on earth. Your spiritual journey, is yours and yours alone.Let the Spirit guide you and the Catholic Church.You will have peace that is beyond words.:thumbsup:
God Bless you and Peace of God's Spirit be with you in your journey

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.