Can I Be Enrolled In The Brown Scapular?

Hello. :slight_smile: I received a brown scapular today, but I am not yet fully Catholic. May I still be enrolled in the Brown Scapular by a priest? What if I can’t? May I still participate in all the spiritual discipline that comes with the Brown Scapular? Do I need to have my scapular blessed by a priest before I wear it?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

Anyone who wishes may be enrolled., assuming the person has the intention of wearing it as a sign of his devotion for Mary and as one of her children. Part of it is having a priest bless you and your scapular, but the blessing is mainly for you. When your scapular wears out you can properly dispose of it (by respectfully burning it or burying it) and simply put on a new one. :)

[quote="Della, post:2, topic:349730"]
Anyone who wishes may be enrolled., assuming the person has the intention of wearing it as a sign of his devotion for Mary and as one of her children. Part of it is having a priest bless you and your scapular, but the blessing is mainly for you. When your scapular wears out you can properly dispose of it (by respectfully burning it or burying it) and simply put on a new one. :)

[/quote]

Is there an age limit? I'm 16.

of course your not too young, the BVM didn’t put any age limit on it.

[quote="bben15, post:3, topic:349730"]

[/quote]

No, not for being enrolled in and wearing the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Many children receive the Scapular at their first communion. However, you would need to be a year older to enter the Lay Carmelite Order.

I can likely be that you can not yet be "enrolled" or "invested" but I would think the scapular can be blessed and you could wear it out of devotion to Our Lady and as your following Christ....

[quote="Bookcat, post:6, topic:349730"]
I can likely be that you can not yet be "enrolled" or "invested" but I would think the scapular can be blessed and you could wear it out of devotion to Our Lady and as your following Christ....

[/quote]

There is no requirement that one be Catholic in order to be enrolled. It is assumed that one will be devoted to Our Lady and live out one's baptismal promises, thus it is open to our separated brethren, as well. A quote from EWTN on enrollment:

Conferral with the scapular indicates a special devotion and consecration to Mary. No one should undertake it who is not spiritual prepared to live in accordance with it.

As one who took promises as a Lay Carmelite, I can vouch for its accuracy. :)

[quote="bben15, post:1, topic:349730"]
Hello. :) I received a brown scapular today, but I am not yet fully Catholic. May I still be enrolled in the Brown Scapular by a priest? What if I can't? May I still participate in all the spiritual discipline that comes with the Brown Scapular? Do I need to have my scapular blessed by a priest before I wear it?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

[/quote]

Of course you may participate in the spiritual discipline that comes with the Brown Scapular!

God bless you! And, Blessed Mother will intercede powerfully for you!

[quote="bben15, post:3, topic:349730"]

[/quote]

Sixteen is fine. Many years ago, it was common practice to enroll the children after they had made their First Communion (second grade). You can call, make an appointment with a priest and get enrolled this week; it only takes a few minutes.

[quote="Della, post:7, topic:349730"]
There is no requirement that one be Catholic in order to be enrolled. It is assumed that one will be devoted to Our Lady and live out one's baptismal promises, thus it is open to our separated brethren, as well. A quote from EWTN on enrollment:

[/quote]

The quote is not about enrollment or investiture --but about what I noted -having it blessed and wearing it with devotion.

I noted is it is not likely that a person not in full communion with the Catholic Church can be invested in the Scapular or enrolled in the Confraternity.

(one source I saw noted as much)

But have it blessed and wear it -living as you noted? Sure.

Here is a more detailed explanation regarding the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, presented by both branches of the Order, O.C.D., and O. Carm.

It was presented in the year 2000.

It is long, but worth reading and understanding.

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html

[quote="Bookcat, post:10, topic:349730"]
The quote is not about enrollment or investiture --but about what I noted -having it blessed and wearing it with devotion.

I noted is it is not likely that a person not in full communion with the Catholic Church can be invested in the Scapular or enrolled in the Confraternity.

(one source I saw noted as much)

But have it blessed and wear it -living as you noted? Sure.

[/quote]

Assuming bben is baptized and since he is in the early stages of becoming Catholic, I can't see any priest denying him enrollment. It is a reminder of our baptismal vows, after all--something all Christians should use as their guide for being faithful to Christ. And Our Lady put no restrictions on who may show devotion to her by wearing it. It's strictly a spiritual exercise and a devotion, not a matter of doctrine or dogma.

[quote="Della, post:12, topic:349730"]
Assuming bben is baptized and since he is in the early stages of becoming Catholic, I can't see any priest denying him enrollment. It is a reminder of our baptismal vows, after all--something all Christians should use as their guide for being faithful to Christ. And Our Lady put no restrictions on who may show devotion to her by wearing it. It's strictly a spiritual exercise and a devotion, not a matter of doctrine or dogma.

[/quote]

They are not in full communion with the Catholic Church. I am discussing formal investiture as well as enrollment in an association **of the Catholic Faithful....(now perhaps it could be different for someone who down the road in the process of becoming Catholic...perhaps...but I think that they would likely need to wait until full reception...while wearing the Scapular out love and devotion in the meantime though ).

(certain spiritual exercises and associations have various requirements --for example I found tocphilippines.blogspot.com/p/scapular-confraternity.html)

I said nothing about "restrictions" on showing devotion to Our Lady and wearing the Scapular.
:)
....as I note they could I would say yes have it blessed and wear it out of devotion etc. Sure.

[quote="Bookcat, post:13, topic:349730"]
They are not in full communion with the Catholic Church. I am discussing formal investiture as well as enrollment in an association **of the Catholic Faithful....(now perhaps it could be different for someone who down the road in the process of becoming Catholic...perhaps...but I think that they would likely need to wait until full reception...while wearing the Scapular out love and devotion in the meantime though ).

(certain spiritual exercises and associations have various requirements --for example I found tocphilippines.blogspot.com/p/scapular-confraternity.html)

I said nothing about "restrictions" on showing devotion to Our Lady and wearing the Scapular.
....as I note they could I would say yes have it blessed and wear it out of devotion etc. Sure.

[/quote]

There simply isn't any requirement that a person be a Catholic in order to be invested in the Scapular. It is a spiritual exercise, and is, therefore open to anyone who wishes to do it. As one who took promises as a Lay Carmelite, that is what we were told and what we practiced.

[quote="Della, post:14, topic:349730"]
There simply isn't any requirement that a person be a Catholic in order to be invested in the Scapular. It is a spiritual exercise, and is, therefore open to anyone who wishes to do it..

[/quote]

Yes I understand that is your opinion.

[quote="Bookcat, post:13, topic:349730"]

[/quote]

Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

[quote="Dorothy, post:11, topic:349730"]
Here is a more detailed explanation regarding the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, presented by both branches of the Order, O.C.D., and O. Carm.

It was presented in the year 2000.

It is long, but worth reading and understanding.

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html

[/quote]

Some interesting lines from the North American Carmelites:

Is it necessary to enroll people in the Scapular Confraternity for them to share in the spiritual benefits attached to the scapular?
No, those who wear the scapular out of devotion, practice the Order’s spirituality, yet who have no formal association to the Order share in a spiritual affiliation to the Carmelite Order. It gives them the assurances of the graces pertinent to this sacramental. Indiscriminate enrollment in the Scapular Confraternity or other such associations weakens the purpose and mission of those associations and should be avoided.

and

If a person wears the scapular, but has no formal association to the Order, does that person still gain the benefits associated with the scapular?
A person who wears the scapular and practices the spirituality of the Carmelite Order has an affiliation, loose as it may be, to the Carmelite family and so shares in the graces traditionally associated with the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. However, simply to wear the scapular without accepting the responsibilities attached to it would be to reduce this precious sacramental to the status of a charm or good-luck piece.
Six practical ways of affiliation ate recognized by the Carmelite Order:**
1. The religious men and women of the Order and aggregated institutes
2. The Secular/Lay Order (Third Order).
3. Members of public associations and confraternities of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, such as active communities of the Scapular Confraternity.
4. Those who have been invested in the scapular, practice the Order’s spirituality, and have been granted some association with the Order.
5. Those who wear the scapular out of devotion, practice the Order’s spirituality, hut who have no formal association to the Order.
6. Those who are committed to practice the Marian characteristics of Carmelite Spirituality but use outward forms other than the Brown Scapular to express this devotion.

What is this Carmelite spirituality that one must practice in order to have an affiliation with the Carmelite Order?
The spirituality of the Carmelite Order is one of the preeminent spiritual traditions of the Catholic Church. It is difficult to reduce this spirituality to a few sentences. One who wears the scapular should certainly reflect upon the teachings of the great Carmelite saints, three of whom are doctors of the Church.
A few basic introductory principles of Carmelite spirituality would be;
1. frequent participation in the Mass and reception of holy Communion;
2. frequent reading of and meditation on the Word of God in Sacred Scripture;
3. the regular praying of at least part of the Liturgy of the Hours;
4. imitation of and devotion to the Mary, the woman of faith who bears the Word of God and puts it into practice;

5. the practice of the virtues, notably charity, chastity (according to one’s state of life), and obedience to the will of God.

So for now- simply have it blessed and wear it .. ...and be committed to the Marian aspects etc and be devoted to Our Lady and Follow Christ! :)

Then after one is Catholic - if one wishes one may be enrolled in the confraternity one may explore this and be so invested and enrolled if one so decides.

I think the “blessing” includes enrollment. I don’t think there’s a rite for blessing a scapular without enrollment. It is my understanding that the actual scapular isn’t blessed, but you are blessed, and even after you buy a new scapular, you are still blessed.

[quote="bben15, post:18, topic:349730"]
I think the "blessing" includes enrollment. I don't think there's a rite for blessing a scapular without enrollment. It is my understanding that the actual scapular isn't blessed, but you are blessed, and even after you buy a new scapular, you are still blessed.

[/quote]

One may have a scapular blessed *(and yes it too can be blessed I would think even if one is enrolled). And wear it without any enrollment/investiture.

[quote="Bookcat, post:19, topic:349730"]
One may have a scapular blessed *(and yes it too can be blessed I would think even if one is enrolled). And wear it without any enrollment/investiture.

[/quote]

Yes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.