Can I be forgiven?

I strayed away from God for a long time, and in that time, I got a lot of tattoos and piercings on my body, did drugs and drank more alcohol than any one person should. I have come back to the Lord and I’m trying to be a better Christian. I had people tell me I wan’t going to heaven because of what I’ve done, I have been called an embarrassment to be seen with by my family. I have taken out all of my piercings and I cover my tattoos. I feel like I may not be accepted by the way I look by God. What can I do to find forgiveness? How can I use my mistakes to help bring others to Christ?

Yes, you can be forgiven and if you have gone to confession you have been forgiven. God is more concerned about what’s in your heart. Don’t worry about what other people have to say, we are all sinners in need of God’s mercy. Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.