Can I be healed of my mental disorders?

Hi everyone. I suffer from borderline personality disorder, major depression, and anxiety disorder among other physical disorders. This makes life relatively difficult for me. I am just wondering, is it God’s will for me to be healed and can I be healed? :shrug::confused: If so, how? :shrug::confused: I have attended healing masses before and they helped but they didn’t heal me completely. I am a charismatic Catholic and I also attend charismatic Catholic prayer meetings from time to time. So, again I ask, can and how may I be healed? Also, is it God’s will for me to be healed or should I bear these sufferings and offer them up for the good of the world? :shrug::confused:

Hello Holly,

I can get pretty depressed and anxious myself, and if I knew good answers to your questions, I’d have a much happier life myself. In the short term, I suggest finding a place to pray with others at which you feel safe and make a routine of praying with those people as often as you can. Stability in routine can help with anxiety…
I wish you well.

I KNOW for sure that God could heal you. I think that if it is his will it will be done, maybe he wants you to align your suffering with his kinda like Sister Faustina. Try to align your suffering to get someone out of purgatory. I don’t know that is what I have believe anyway. Scoob

The obvious answer is yes.

Let us start from the bottom. What the nerds say:
Studies are saying that an effective cure to mental and social disorders is to give them occupations and things to do.
And that religion is good for that as well, because hope releases such and such chem…

Now the real important stuff. We are one being composed of a soul and a body. The SOUL is the one that gives form to the body. So when there are problems in the soul, it can reflect in the body. Why does the first part of this post have to do with this?
The following: When you don’t do anything all day but think about yourself and the little details of your prosaic life, then you go :eek: or :stuck_out_tongue: or :frowning: . Why? Because we were not created to live for ourselves or even this life. We were made for God, and our life should revolve around His greater glory. Stop thinking about yourself and the (excuse the force of words) insignificancy of your life in itself and but God in the center. Think about how this world is offending God and how you want nothing to do with it, how you want to strive for sanctity to repair and take revenge for the sins.
How you want to crush Satan with your sanctity, etc.
Pray, read, do some exercise, forget how fat or how ugly you might be. IT DOES NOT MATTER!

Take the Me, Myself and I and make it He, Himself and Him.

Will this completely solve the problem? Yes. Do you still need to take some medicines? Probably, but the most important thing is the above.

I guess I should have rephrased my subject line. Let’s make it “Will God heal me of my mental disorders?”

Anyway, what I am looking for is information about healing Masses, charismatic Masses, and such. I would also like to hear testimonies of people who have been healed through faith. Thanks everyone for your help. :slight_smile:

Yes I have a story to tell and I am going to give it to you Reader’s digest version so this will be quick. OK

I was about 490 LBS and hated life and wanted to die. I saw a picture of myself when I was skinny and all that. I got so mad so angry and I had enough. I begged God, I begged and begged and pleaded and begged, the weight still wouldn’t go and I finally just said the hell with it. Well saw that picture and I got so angry I told God take this weight off or take me out I have had enough. It was depressing when I couldn’t sit in an airplane (don’t fly to this day for THAT bad experience) and couldn’t sit in those plastic chairs or they would stick to my butt when I got up and talk about embarrassment!!! I had enough. After screaming at God, I am not recommending doing this… But the weight did come off in record time. I dropped 200 pounds in 6 months. I gained 20 back so I am working out and trying to get the rest of the weight off. Look it is simple life sucks and it is hard and it isn’t fair. The fact is that we need to trust in Jesus and he will take care of you. I am having some difficulty with my life as far as where I am. I am not happy and I am miserable. But I trust that someday God will lift this weight off my shoulders. So I have been healed yes. He does heal and I have been healed. I carried 220 extra pounds for 10 years. God finally gave me a break. HE will give you one if you trust in him. I believe that Healing Massed are valid and they do heal. I believe that sometimes you just got to get angry and put your foot down and just not accept things. That is what I did with my weight I just had enough. Scoob

That is an inspiring story Scoob. Thanks for posting it! :slight_smile:

Yes!
The Lord desires to heal you.
The healing may come all at once or gradually. To the best of your ability place yourself in God’s loving hands each day. Trust Him to know how to best heal you. Ask him to place people in your life that will best help you.

If you are on medications, you may still continue to need them, however over time you will see how God has healed you of disordered thought patterns, anxiety, and fear.

I will be praying for you.

Thank you bcuster! Your post is very encouraging! :slight_smile:

Scientific research from the Canadian Mental Health Association shows that the mentally ill do better when they are religious. cmha.bc.ca/files/12.pdf

Deeply devout religious people also have more self-control. nytimes.com/2008/12/30/science/30tier.html?_r=2&em. Prayer and meditation a lot of activity in two parts of the brain that are important for self-regulation and control of attention and emotion. And it’s not enough to just be spiritual, according to the study one has to truly believe. :eek:

** 98. ** The saintly Blanche of Castille, Queen of France, was deeply grieved because twelve years after her marriage she was still childless. When St. Dominic went to see her he advised her to say the Rosary every day to ask God for the grace of motherhood, and she faithfully carried out his advice. In the year 1213 she gave birth to her eldest child, who was called Philip. But when the child died in infancy, the Queen sought our Lady’s help more than ever, and had a large number of rosaries given out to all members of the court and to people in several towns in the Kingdom, asking them to pray to God for a blessing which this time would be complete. This was granted to her, for in 1215 St. Louis was born, the prince who was to become the glory of France and the model of Christian kings.

From: **Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

If you are out of mortal sin and striving to follow Christ’s perfect will, and you regularly pray to Christ, particularly the Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, and Litany of Humility, who knows what might happen. :slight_smile: I strongly suspect that when one is in mortal sin, Christ is most concerned with you seeking forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation and coming back into your heart. :eek:

#1181 When I was close to the Lord, He said to me, Why are you afraid to begin the work which I have commanded you to carry out? I answered, Why do you leave me on my own at such times, Jesus, and why do I not feel your presence? **My daughter, even though you do not perceive Me in the most secret depths of your heart, you still cannot say that I am not there. I only remove from you the awareness of my presence, and that should not be an obstacle to the carrying out of My will. I do this to achieve unfathomable ends, which you will know later on.

My daughter, know without a doubt, that only mortal sin drives me out of a soul and nothing else!**

Diary of St. Maria Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS24.shtml

Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm
Most Holy Rosary rosary-center.org/rosary.htm

Excerpt from Vie par elle-meme by St. Margaret Mary Aloque, to whom was revealed the Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, * “The blessed virgin has always taken great care of me. I had recourse to her in all my necessities and she has preserved me from great dangers. I did not dare address myself to her divine son, but only to her and I often presented her with the little crown of the rosary, which I said on my bare knees, or genuflecting and kissing the ground at every Ave Maria.” * episcopalacademy.org/drum/trea/TREA5-06/Wrighttrea06a.pdf

“The one who prays a lot saves himself. The one who prays little is in danger. The one who does not pray loses his soul.” St. Padre Pio

*“He showed me many religious souls who, because of some disunity with their superiors had been deprived of the help of the Holy Virgin, the saints and the visitation of their guardian angels and plunged in the horrible flames of Purgatory.” * I forget where this quote is from - I think the writings of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Sister Lucy of Fatima. *“She has given this efficacy to such an extent that there is no problem; no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all, spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families, of the families of the world, or of the religious communities, or even of the life of peoples and nations, that cannot be solved by the Rosary.” *

P.S. Maybe Jesus through Mary solves some problems by healing miracles and perhaps, for others, Christ bestows greater blessings that may only be fully appreciated in Heaven and inner peace. :eek:

Suffering and Holiness

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Well, we will not know God’s will until it has happened. And if you have asked Him for guidence then you should just trust that when it is time, He will show you the way. Until then, I would suggest praying and living your life. The more you suffer, the more it will be worth it in the end. I also suffered from anxiety and panic attacks and was recommended to be put on medicine but I declined, understanding that if God allows it then also will I. And when I came to grips with that fact is when I was truely able to give my life to God, living through suffery and trying not to complain. I used to get tingles and numbness through my whole body, and daily headaches caused by overwhelming stress. They have stopped without the use of medicines, though strongly recommended by my doctor. So don’t give up hope, trust that you are exactly where you need to be at, in the exact state that you need to be in. And though we don’t know why now, we eventually will. And I’m not suggesting to not take medicine by any means, you do whatever you feel is necessary and I’ll be praying. Peace

Yes you can be healed! I agree with everyone else…many times our illnesses are also spiritual illnesses ie…nonforgiveness is associated with many mental & physical illnesses. Staying close to God going to daily mass, praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet and praying the Rosary have worked wonders for me. I am a recovering alcoholic prone to depression and anxiety. Some other things that have helped me which I need to do everyday…ask for God’s help in the morning, ask to know God’s will for me for the day, and I also surrender my will entirely to Him (as best I can)…most of the time I dont know what His will for me is…but I’m learning little be little. I ask God to help me overcome or take away from me all my selfishness, self-centeredness, self-seeking, my arrogance and I will put others ahead of myself and myself last…I say the prayer of St Francis every morning and strive to live it on a daily basis. I tell God that I will carry my cross to the best of my ability for today and embrace my cross with all my love and devotion as He did and I will try real hard to not get mad and frustrated and throw it down-I’m still working on that part…When I do that I start again to surrender my will to His and accept any hardships as coming from Jesus as He accepted His chalice from the Father. Most important…Gratitude & Trust…start somewhere…no matter how trivial you make think it is and go from there… everytime I look at the sky and see the birds I thank God. I have to work very hard to stay in today and not to make my problems mountains…I call it my octypus brain. I also work the program in AA and the 12 steps…which brought me back to my faith…For me I make little steps and I consider them great leaps.

I have suffered from bipolar disorder since I was 14, and have been also diagnosed or it has been suggested that I have BPD, eating disorder, schizoaffective disorder (having studied psychology since I was a small child, I knew for sure I did not have that), anxiety disorder… and a few other things. I have been hospitalized 12 times… only two of those hospitalizations did not involve me being suicidal… instead I had not slept for almost 2 weeks and was seeing shadow people as a result of manic episodes. I am only touching on the surface of what I have experienced, but I can assure you that I have been very close to hell and back.

I realized not too long ago that by the time I was 11 or 12 years old, had I stayed I not been hospitalized and had quite a few “so-called” friends abandon me, I would probably have some really serious drug addictions today, and probably would be dead as one of those people have died… almost 7 years to the day they first tried meth. While I am not a virgin, I most likely would have completely lost sight of God’s plan for sexual relations, and I can see how it would have been much, much longer for me to overcome my sexual sins (still working on keeping the venial thoughts just that, but I haven’t engaged in any impure behavior in a few months). I was also starting to take everything for granted, and was expecting God to do all of the work for me, instead of me taking responsibility for my actions. Then, BAM, my mind started turning on itself. For 8 long years, I had very little control of my emotions… that was even if I felt any. For those years, I was either really angry at God, but ignoring him, or I didn’t even believe in his existance at all. I still went to church, every Sunday morning… but that was after a long night of engaging in my eating disorder or other self-injurious behaviors on Saturday night.

There were so many events that have managed to make things at least more managable. Someone suggested me telling God how I felt, and ask Him to heal me. I could only do the first part of that suggestion for a few months. Thanks be to God for the sacrament of Confession, because I really needed it after a few of those conversations once I joined the Church… :wink: :rolleyes: I gave all of my tears and depression and mania and all of my “craziness” up to God and eventually I started asking for him to heal me.

Also, at the time of my lowest (a year ago), I started really studying about sin, and how to overcome it. I wasn’t Catholic at that time, but reading what Catholicism had to say about sinful nature and where it comes from (basically man is good, but because of Adam’s fall, we inherited sinful nature… therefore, we should strive for holiness) (as opposed to what I learned when I was a Presbyterian… total depravity… man is evil, and it was inferred to me that there is no hope for man to turn his evil nature around completely… somehow I think I misinterpreted that as “Just give up, there is no hope for you”) allowed me to see the nescessity of taking responsibility for my words, deeds and actions. That underneath all of the sinful things I have done, either as a result of my illness or own pride and stubborn, I am basically good, and that I can, with the graces of God, overcome or, at the very least, diminish my sinful nature. I don’t consider my mental illnesses to be sinful in themselves, but the fruit of those illnesses are very sinful. The one that I broke the most was “Thou shalt not murder”, because every time I engaged in one of my destructive coping mechanisms, I was killing myself just that much faster. Once I put in black in white what I was doing, it make it much harder to consciously choose to try to cope that way… which forced me to seek out new coping mechanisms.

(con’t)

I still have to be aware of my moods, the amount of sleep I get (either too much or too little can 1)trigger a depressive or manic episode or 2) be an early warning sign for a depressive or manic episode), the amount I eat (but not being vigilant about that particular aspect… but being aware is a very good thing). I make at least weekly examinations of conscience to make sure that I’m healthy spiritually, because being spiritually sick can lead one to becoming mentally, physically, and emotionally sick, and I make it to confession at least every-other week, regardless of whether I want to or not. I pray regularly through St. Dymphna, the patroness of mental illnesses. Luckily I have a good friend who has had a resurgance of faith and a dimishing of past sinful behavior, so we hold ourselves accounable to the other (of course, we don’t require it of each other… but it helps to have someone else around who is fighing the same battle).

I try to put my focus and energy on being faithful with little things, because I don’t have the power or ability of being faithful with big things… but it seems to me that all big things are a combination of a big bunch of little things, so maybe by doing a bunch of little things, the bigger things get accomplished in the process… maybe?? Yes, I do keep my eye on eventually being healed of my illnesses, and I hope one day I am. But at the same time, I am very greatful for my illnesses. It wasn’t until I reached total rock bottom was I finally able to take a good look at myself and take an honest opinion of myself. Yes, I was pretty rotten, but I was also pretty good, too. I was completely wrong about so many things, but I was right about a (very) few things. Realizing that, and building upon that has kept me going for over a year. This is the first (soon to be over) Christmas season in 5 years that I haven’t been hospitalized. This is the longest I’ve been out of the hospital in 3 years. I still have really bad days, though, and it’s not always easy… but I simply offer up my anguish to Christ, and unite it with his. My bad day doesn’t seem so bad in comparison…:blush:

I will be praying for you, and I hope that maybe something I said will resonate with you, and you’ll be able to find some relief. It is a terribly dark and scary place, but I want to remind you that just because you can’t feel God’s presence, doesn’t mean he isn’t there. That was one of the things I forgot the most, and I just want to remind everyone of that… :smiley:

God Bless!
Ericka

PS… I am sorry about the novel… :blush: I guess one can tell this is a subject very near and dear to my heart. I pray that God blesses each and everyone who has to carry this particular cross, because at times, most carry this cross alone due to the the very nature of emotional and mental illnesses.

Healing miracle attributed to St. Maria Faustina: thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=3204 however, Christ sometimes, but not all the time, works in this way. At other times he wants us to accept our crosses for love of him.

Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

Praying for you. :blush: :o

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Hi Holly! :slight_smile:

I have Asperger’s Syndrome and depression and other crosses. I treasure them all, because Jesus gave them to me out of Mercy. Sharing in His hour of glory (suffering and death on the Cross) is a miracle, and a miracle which, unfortunatlely, the world will never understand; though it is ironic, that according to science I cannot understand such and such things, yet the world cannot understand my share in Jesus’ Cross. I offer up my crosses and splinters of crosses to Jesus for love of Him and for the conversion of sinners.

I remember, too, Jesus’ words to Saint Faustina: My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love. Have confidence, My child. Do not lose heart in coming for pardon, for I am always ready to forgive you. As often as you beg for it, you glorify My mercy. (Divine Mercy In My Soul, 1488)

You can read more on the wisdom of Saint Faustina here

I too have lived with on again off again problems. Recently I went back to see the therapist I started seeing oh…15-20 years ago. There have been times in my life I needed to talk and sometimes not.

Lately, I’ve looked back and wondered why I still “carry this cross” and wonder if I too will ever be “healed”.

I know a lovely lady that at this time, is so broken that she can’t even hold a job, have a phone, a TV, a car or Internet and is in debt up to her ears. She’s meandered through several religions and has come home to Catholicism and Jesus. PRAISE GOD!

First and foremost, Jesus is the ONE that understands what it means to carry a cross. So we can turn to Him the One that ultimately understands. Actually today I think I read that Don Bosco had a private revalation about how much a wound on Jesus’ shoulder (from carrying the cross) hurt him.

Second, burdens and crosses are the hallmarks of saints. Sometimes God asks us to bear burdens for a reason. If I was not troubled would I be so sympathetic to my friend that is broken?? She gets love and support from me because I understand a little of where she is.

Third, God does heal. He heals out of love. I have one regret with ever asking to be healed, eventhough I still ask to be healed. That regret is that God will ask something more of me. I know that God can give his Gifts freely. But my inner sense tells me that when a gift is given, responsibilites to do something with that gift come with it.

While Jesus healed the sick, he did tell them to shut up and not tell anyone. But he knew human nature better than those that he cured! Everyone went right out and…sang His praises.

So…

If we are healed through the intercession of Jesus, what do you think he might want of us?

I hope I make sense in a good way.

Just googled.

It was Bernard of Clairvaux

According to St. Bernard, he asked Jesus which was His greatest unrecorded suffering and the wound that inflicted the most pain on Him in Calvary and Jesus answered:

“I had on My Shoulder, while I bore My Cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous Wound which was more painful than the others and which is not recorded by men. Honor this Wound with thy devotion and I will grant thee whatsoever thou dost ask through its virtue and merit and in regard to all those who shall venerate this Wound, I will remit to them all their venial sins and will no longer remember their mortal sins.”[2]

Wow! Thanks for this! Do you have a source or is it easily found using Google? :confused:

When I did a search in Google.com I saw that many entries cited Bernard, so I edited it to reference him instead of Don Bosco. I think that led me to an entry in Wikpedia. Wikpedia is an attempt at an online encycolpedia by the internet community - from what I can tell…

It’s not that hard to use Google. It’s a drag to go through each entry given to find soemthing that answers to what you are looking for!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.