Can i celebrate Easter twice?

Last year i changed from Orthodox to Catholic. My orthodox father was not very happy but my Catholic mother was thrilled. Now the question came about Easter and the proposition was that i celebrate Catholic Easter with my husband in our home and then travel to my parents in my hometown and celebrate Easter with my father and mother in the Orthodox way. I don't know how the Orthodox Easter will be this year but ussually it is one week after the Catholic one, that is why my father proposed that. He is still a little dissapointed about my conversion, he told me he would rather give up his right arm then his religion. I am somehow proud of him for being faithful to his religion. However I have tried to explain several times that this is what i truly believe, that i never felt Orthodox and that i have to follow the faith which i believe is the right one.
So the question is can i celebrate Easter the second time with my father and acompany him to Orthodox Church even if i don't belong to it anymore? My mother always went with him on Easter even if she is Catholic so i guess it is not a sin. However i am the one who gave up on Orthodoxy to become Catholic.

You can definitely attend an Orthodox Mass, although this does not fulfill the Sunday Mass obligation so you would still need to go to a Catholic Mass as well. It's no different than visiting any other non-Catholic church with a friend or family member; it's fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of your Catholic faith.

I also see no reason you couldn't join in celebrating the Orthodox Easter with your family, again, so long as you have fulfilled your Catholic obligations.

God bless you.

Yes, you can without doubt celebrate Pascha twice. I am Eastern Catholic, and there are some Eastern Catholics who follow the new calender, and some who follow the old, and so within my group of friends it is very common to celebrate twice. But just as an FYI, Great Lent and Pascha this year are on the same day for Western and Eastern Catholics. Next year, they will be different again. If your husband has no objection, then I would attend the vigil in one church and liturgy on Pascha Sunday in the other.

Also, just food for thought, when you converted to the Catholic Church, your automatic jurisdiction was the corresponding Eastern Catholic Church - ie Ukrainian Orthodox becomes Ukrainian Catholic, but when you married your Latin Catholic husband, unless the two of you decide otherwise, you follow his jurisdiction.
The reason I am telling you that is not to confuse you, but rather because you don't have to give up the Eastern spirituality/liturgy/customs if you do not want to. If you are more comfortable in the west, that is one thing, but it might be also worth looking into Eastern Catholic churches, as it may be a means of maintaining your spiritual roots, even if you only attend once a month, without giving up communion with Rome.

Good luck!

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:229387"]
Last year i changed from Orthodox to Catholic. My orthodox father was not very happy but my Catholic mother was thrilled. Now the question came about Easter and the proposition was that i celebrate Catholic Easter with my husband in our home and then travel to my parents in my hometown and celebrate Easter with my father and mother in the Orthodox way. I.

[/quote]

okay I am not seeing the problem. Celebrate Easter on the Roman date with your family, then travel to the Orthodox side of the family and celebrate on their date. On the rare weekend when the dates coincide spend the Vigil with one family, and Sunday with the other, just make a choice of the mandatory Catholic observance in that year.

Is there a problem unrelated to the dates of Easter, but relevant to your family I am unaware of?

[quote="newlywed8, post:3, topic:229387"]

Also, just food for thought, when you converted to the Catholic Church, your automatic jurisdiction was the corresponding Eastern Catholic Church - ie Ukrainian Orthodox becomes Ukrainian Catholic, but when you married your Latin Catholic husband, unless the two of you decide otherwise, you follow his jurisdiction.
The reason I am telling you that is not to confuse you, but rather because you don't have to give up the Eastern spirituality/liturgy/customs if you do not want to. If you are more comfortable in the west, that is one thing, but it might be also worth looking into Eastern Catholic churches, as it may be a means of maintaining your spiritual roots, even if you only attend once a month, without giving up communion with Rome.

Good luck!

[/quote]

This is the problem. I don't have any spiritual roots in the Eatern rite. I never felt at home there. I alwyas wanted to be Latin Catholic. And even if my father is proud of his religion we were going to Church only on Easter.
However i have converted after our marriage. We married Latin Catholic but it was a mixed wedding. I was afraid of what my father would say if i changed. But after some time i just couldn't go on. I felt it was a lie. I always felt more Catholic, all my life. So i decided to go on with the process and convert.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:4, topic:229387"]
okay I am not seeing the problem. Celebrate Easter on the Roman date with your family, then travel to the Orthodox side of the family and celebrate on their date. On the rare weekend when the dates coincide spend the Vigil with one family, and Sunday with the other, just make a choice of the mandatory Catholic observance in that year.

Is there a problem unrelated to the dates of Easter, but relevant to your family I am unaware of?

[/quote]

No problem, just a question, i wanted to be sure :) Thanks for the answer.:D

[quote="cristyd, post:1, topic:229387"]
Last year i changed from Orthodox to Catholic. My orthodox father was not very happy but my Catholic mother was thrilled. Now the question came about Easter and the proposition was that i celebrate Catholic Easter with my husband in our home and then travel to my parents in my hometown and celebrate Easter with my father and mother in the Orthodox way. I don't know how the Orthodox Easter will be this year but ussually it is one week after the Catholic one, that is why my father proposed that. He is still a little dissapointed about my conversion, he told me he would rather give up his right arm then his religion. I am somehow proud of him for being faithful to his religion. However I have tried to explain several times that this is what i truly believe, that i never felt Orthodox and that i have to follow the faith which i believe is the right one.
So the question is can i celebrate Easter the second time with my father and acompany him to Orthodox Church even if i don't belong to it anymore? My mother always went with him on Easter even if she is Catholic so i guess it is not a sin. However i am the one who gave up on Orthodoxy to become Catholic.

[/quote]

There are still Eastern Catholics who use the old Calendar (Julian). The Ukrainian Church is such an example, some communities use the Gregorian calendar, some still Julian. There is nothing wrong with that, go with your family.

[quote="cristyd, post:5, topic:229387"]
This is the problem. I don't have any spiritual roots in the Eatern rite. I never felt at home there. I alwyas wanted to be Latin Catholic. And even if my father is proud of his religion we were going to Church only on Easter.
However i have converted after our marriage. We married Latin Catholic but it was a mixed wedding. I was afraid of what my father would say if i changed. But after some time i just couldn't go on. I felt it was a lie. I always felt more Catholic, all my life. So i decided to go on with the process and convert.

[/quote]

Don't feel that way. Catholics have a high regard for our Orthodox bretheren, they are a true and valid Church with a true and valid priesthood, they have all 7 valid Sacraments. You still feel some closeness and bond with the Orthodox, not only because of your family, but its because as Catholics we are to foster unity and hope that someday the Catholics and Orthodox will be in full communion again.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:4, topic:229387"]

[/quote]

Also if there are Vespers which is not a Eucharistic Liturgy, its worth while to join the Orthodox, especially if its Vespers of a Great Feast or Pascha/Easter.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:8, topic:229387"]
Don't feel that way. Catholics have a high regard for our Orthodox bretheren, they are a true and valid Church with a true and valid priesthood, they have all 7 valid Sacraments. You still feel some closeness and bond with the Orthodox, not only because of your family, but its because as Catholics we are to foster unity and hope that someday the Catholics and Orthodox will be in full communion again.

[/quote]

i have a high regard for Orthodoxy, i respect the orthodox people and i hope we will be in communion again. You don't understand me. I feel more at home with the roman traditions, spirituality/liturgy/customs. This is where i belong. This is where i always wanted to belong. I have nothing against anybody. I was raised in a mixed family and i was educated to respect both religions. However what i believe is personal and i want to profess what i believe.

But i am happy to participate with my family in the Easter.

[quote="cristyd, post:10, topic:229387"]
i have a high regard for Orthodoxy, i respect the orthodox people and i hope we will be in communion again. You don't understand me. I feel more at home with the roman traditions, spirituality/liturgy/customs. This is where i belong. This is where i always wanted to belong. I have nothing against anybody. I was raised in a mixed family and i was educated to respect both religions. However what i believe is personal and i want to profess what i believe.

But i am happy to participate with my family in the Easter.

[/quote]

Apologies, perhaps I wasn't just clear in stating what I want to say. I understand your position. I'm not saying you should return to Orthodoxy if you feel you want to be Roman Catholic. I'm just saying that look on it on a positive light and enjoy being there on the occassions you are being there. There's two wonderful reasons why you should treasure it when you go to Orthodox Divine Liturgy, you connect with your family and you connect with our Orthodox bretheren. Since its not a regular thing, it shouldn't be much of a concern. You get to be Roman Catholic the other 51 Sundays of the year.

I just would like to echo puzzleannie's question, is there a particular reason why you do not want to join your family in the Orthodox Liturgy besides the form of Liturgy? Like family and personal reasons? You don't have to share what it is, just confirm if this is beyond theological reasons so we could best give you advice.

Many Eastern Catholics would join Orthodox services in a heartbeat, especially Vespers, Matins and other non-Eucharistic prayer services. There really isn't much difference in faith and belief between us.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:11, topic:229387"]

I just would like to echo puzzleannie's question, is there a particular reason why you do not want to join your family in the Orthodox Liturgy besides the form of Liturgy? Like family and personal reasons? You don't have to share what it is, just confirm if this is beyond theological reasons so we could best give you advice.

QUOTE]

I want to join my family. But yes maybe there is a reason beyond theologycal :D. It's maybe the fact that some of my orthodox friends were trying to make me feel guitly, or asked explanations, or even stopped talking to me, or didn't hide how very dissapointed they are. Or even tried to tell me that i have a possesive husband who forced me to change to his religion. Which is absurb since when he married me i was still orthodox and he didn't care. It's maybe the angry and offensive, anti-chatolic mails i got from my ex-orhtodox priest when he found out i left. And told me i joined the cult of death :(:(:(:(:(
And the same priest told my friend (married with a chatolic husband) "why don't you take the baby to the Chatolic Church since you baptized him Chatolic". She went to Church with the baby in the trolley. I mean what was she supposed to leave it at home. She was still orthodox and she wanted to attend the ceremony.

And I also felt bad when the orhtodox priest forced me one time to take communion even if i told him i want to confess first. I didn't want to take it because i felt i had bad sins but he his wife pushed me and called on me to come and take it and told me it doesn't matter if i confessed or not because he did a general confession durring the ceremony. I took the communion out of shame for them. And then i felt terrible. I have decided to convert shortly after that.

But i will stop the complaining because there were many friends who were on my side and respected my decision and i am impressed by all your kind answers to me.

So Ok yes, i was a little afraid of a reaction like this. But reading your replies now i understand i should not care about this kind of reactions.

[/quote]

I understand that. While we Catholics love our Orthodox bretheren and desire for unity, many Orthodox still see us as heretics (not all, but many). I can imagine why its a source of emotional pain to be among them, especially those who know you personally.

But I have a suggestion. Come back and be 10x more charitable. The only way their opinion of Catholics would change is if they see it through you. Every little thing that contributes to unity will help. Offer this up to Christ and be there as an emissary of unity.

There is an Orthodox deacon that I’ve befriended and I’ve been trying to ask him about me attending Vespers at their mission parish. He still hasn’t given me details. Maybe some ill feelings after our lengthy Immaculate Conception debate? Perhaps. But I want to be there to show some Catholic love. See, this is in my home country of the Philippines where its predominantly Roman Catholic. I can imagine they must feel like Protestants there and the priests there may be hostile to them. I’d like to show that its just fear and lack of understanding that causes this and that being Catholic is really about desiring unity for the Church.

I’m still trying to understand a lot about the East. Perhaps its acceptable for the Orthodox to give general absolutions? I can’t say. Although this feels a bit off to me.

You do not need a citation from the Pope to represent the Church. By virtue of our baptism and confirmation, we represent Christ all the time. Be there and represent Cathoilcism as someone who is charitable and loving. Do not harbor hate. Show you’re a better person by becoming Catholic, and hopefully they will open their hearts to you and to our faith as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.