Can I change my daughter's godparents?

I need to know if I can change my daughter’s godparents. She was baptized six months ago. If not, what can I do about the godparents? :confused:

[quote=diannamendoza]I need to know if I can change my daughter’s godparents. She was baptized six months ago.
[/quote]

No. Only the people who actually witnessed the baptism in the capacity of godparents can be the godparents.

[quote=diannamendoza]If not, what can I do about the godparents? :confused:
[/quote]

Without more information on what the problem with the current godparents is, I can only offer general remarks. If there was a resolvable conflict with them, my suggestion is to do your best to resolve it for your daughter’s sake. If the conflict is unresolvable or if they have abandoned the faith or their responsibilities to your daughter, then I suggest asking a Catholic whose spiritual maturity and orthodoxy you trust to be a mentor to your daughter, fulfilling the role of supplemental religious education provider that her godparents no longer can or will. In time your daughter might choose to ask this person to be her confirmation sponsor.

Of course, if your daughter’s godparents later become capable of participating in your daughter’s spiritual formation, you might choose to invite them to again participate in her religious upbringing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.