Can I commute my private vow?

Hello thanks for looking at this,

5 Years ago I made a private vow to God that if he gave me success in a relationship with my (now) wife that I would give up coffee for life as a sacrifice of thanks. I know it sounds silly… but coffee was (is) a very great material comfort to me and it seemed significant to go without it.

So God held up his end of things. Now I would like to commute this vow into something of equal or better value, since this particular sacrifice is a bit heavy and is beginning to stray into an occasion for sin… since I can get bitter or become tempted to lapse.

So my question is two part: 1) Am I reading correctly that I have the power to commute this vow into something of better good. 2) What recommendations do you have for the better good?

Thank You

-Nate

Let us look first to canon 1196,1 (emphasis added):

Can. 1196 In addition to the Roman Pontiff, **the following can dispense from private vows **for a just cause provided that a dispensation does not injure a right acquired by others:
1/ the local ordinary and the pastor with regard to all their subjects and even travelers;

I am personally weary of vows that are essentially “deals” with God. God is gracious, merciful, and loving. The idea that we need to do a deal with God to receive His blessings makes me uneasy. However, based on canon 1196, 1 I would suggest that you discuss this matter with your pastor and permit him to either dispense you or help you consider a substitute.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.