Can I date a girl who is a Wiccan?

I met her on a dating website, and she and I are such a great match, we have so much in common, she likes me and I like her. But I found out that she’s a practicing Wiccan. Should I break everything off? If I do start something with her, I plan on trying to convert her.

I don’t see anything wrong with just going to dinner, but make sure to tell her from the start that you are Catholic (and everything that entails). Most likely that will scare her off, but maybe she is in a state of questioning her beliefs. She may be receptive to conversion or at least learning more about the Catholic faith. If, however, she is very strong in her beliefs and is not willing to change them, you will have to just be friends. From what I’ve read, Wiccan beliefs are absolutely contrary to God’s will. You can encourage her to give up those beliefs, but she may not be interested.

Good answer. I was going to say YES you CAN date, but NO, you SHOULDN’T date a Wicca. JDGaney is confident that he can convert her, but what if she converts him?

Alot of pitfalls but the advice to start off telling her that he’s a Catholic and everything that entails upfront is a good test.

Tell her what the end of the road looks like…if we continue seeing each other, the end of the road is marriage and it will be in a Catholic Church because I want our family to have morals and values in sync with what Rome teaches.

Either she’ll get scared off and break it off with him or she may be receptive to conversion. Better now than later when both hearts are so in love with each other that it’ll hurt to break off the relationship…and at that stage, you’ll be tempted to abandon Catholicism and follow Wiccanism because you’ll be in “I’m soooooo in love and love conquers all” mentality and will do anything to keep being in that state.

I totally agree but let’s not word too harshly. We are not saying that you will be liable to follow words contrary to the Church, but that it is always a sad possibility. So we are just advising to stay out of temptation, if you find that temptation may be evident :slight_smile:

I would strongly suggest breaking it off.

Personally, I married a Jewish woman, who I love greatly; but it is VERY HARD being in an intrafaith relationship. Now the Catholic Faith came from Judism, but we are still very different; major issues which do not appear until you have kids (maybe a few at marriage time).

A Wiccan is basiclly practicing witchcraft is even more alien.

Finally, even though you might think it’s just harmless dating; but if you don’t break it off now; you might fall for the qualities you see in her… get married… and then spend the next 20 years arguing about the religion of your children. :eek:

NOTE: Once again, I love my wife. I do not wish I could change anything, because then I would not have my beautiful baby girl. But I do not recommend people barring the Cross of IntraFaith or even mixed Christian marriages (and my wife doesn’t even practice witchcraft!).

God Bless.

See you in 10 years in the Prayer Intentions section.

Having dated both Catholic and non-Catholic women, at this point I don’t think I’d even bother unless I knew she was a weekly Mass attending strong Catholic. I asked one if she’d come to Mass and she said she would if I agreed to go with her to a Holistic Bookstore I think she called it. It never happened. To be completely honest there’s been no better time in history for single Catholic men so why put yourself in the position of possibly falling in love with a Wiccan? I guess there’s a chance God has a plan for you to do this and convert her, who knows? Personally I’d look elsewhere.

Basically this! :thumbsup:

The only other thing to keep in mind OP, is that it’s the duty of a Catholic to raise their children Catholic, so if u sense this being a problem (after letting her know that u plan to raise your children with Catholic beliefs), then u should definitely look elsewhere.

I would STRONGLY advise against dating someone who is -]almost/-] a modern day pagan, if you take your faith seriously. Marriage isn’t that easy, and adding such a serious religious difference will only make things worse.

That just my $0.02

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

The Catholic Church teaches that the devil lies behind witchcraft. You should break it off. If you don’t take witchcraft seriously now, you may find out more about it in unpleasant ways.
Personally, I would be concerned that if you are involved and then break it off, she would use witchcraft to attack you in anger. In any case, if she doesn’t use witchcraft against you, she could well be using it against other people. Witches get any power they have from Satan, even if they call themselves white witches.

Can a Christian date a Wiccan?
The answer is obvious … of course he can.

Can a Christian marry a Wiccan and produce Wiccan kids?
Of course he can.

The real question is: How involved with a non-Christian, SHOULD a Christian get?

The real answer is : It is YOUR Life.
If you know what you are doing, AND you agree that it will assist you in your spiritual Life, then do it.

The rest of us can throw things out … but you need to decide how much “outside” intercourse you want to have.
I have a few non-Christians whom I am friends with.
I imagine that most Catholics also do (especially if you work).

I know I shouldn’t, but really:

:rotfl:

I can already see the thread taking shape…

You’re advising him to talk about marriage on the first date! That’d scare Catholic girls off, let alone anyone else.

Ah yes, exactly! :stuck_out_tongue:

You know, OP, I would just hope that if you tell her you’re Catholic that she can at least respect it. That’s a good sign if it goes anywhere.

I am sitting in a room full of Catholics. Right now. I’m not bothered by it. I’m not even bothered by evangelizing when it is kind. I just find it tedious. Pagans are not terrified of Catholics. Some are wary and often with enough experiences to make that reasonable.
But I wouldn’t want to be in a relationship where my SO is constantly bugging me about my beliefs.

If she didn’t I wouldn’t date her either. Respect is vital to being a decent human being.

First off: it’s probably not wise. I think you know that. But since you asked anyways, you’re probably not that concerned. Moving on.

Don’t go into a deal guns blazing, please. She should know that you are Catholic by now (if you know that she’s Wiccan I assume she knows you’re Catholic), and that’s it. Don’t say “let’s talk religion” or “so about your beliefs…” If those sorts of conversations come up over time, as they naturally will, then let them.

In the future, when stuff about kids comes up, you know that you have to stick to your guns: your children have to be raised Catholic. There is no compromise on that issue. But there’s no reason to bring that up on the first date.

When I was an agnostic, do you think any amount of exhortation could turn me to the faith? No. Not even the Pope himself could convert me. What do you hope to accomplish by trying to convert her? Here’s how to convert her:

Live a Catholic life. That means loving your neighbors, even the ones you want to hate, and recognizing that none of your good works or anything you’ve ever done will merit your salvation (though they cooperate with it as the natural fruits of grace, and must be done) so that you always rely on God and his grace and not begin to think yourself like an “elder brother”. Be generous, kind, patient, understanding… listen above all else. Do not argue and exhort when religion comes up, but understand and quietly, firmly, respectfully hold your ground. Know when to dialogue and when someone is just railing because they are hurt and wounded-- which is most of the time!

For God’s sake, do not go in guns blazing.

I’m sure you will be bombarded with advice not to date her, so I will be the voice of tolerance.

If you have fealings for her then religion should not restrain you, if you believe you will work as a couple don’t alow this difference of oppinion to ruin what could be a beautiful relationship. I would however advise you against attempts to convert, while you can likely get along just fine with her under normal circumstances pagans often react extreàmly strongly against persons attempting to convert them. Wiccans don’t like it when you try to prosyletize to them.

I wish you best of luck.

They also tend to be very ‘chippy’ about Christianity. My experience as a pagan, and knowing many pagans now, is that they will talk openly about how they are discriminated against, how Christianity oppresses people, and they will expect you to automatically accept the position of Christianity as an oppressor. You are not allowed to make any criticism of their belief system, while they expect to be able to knock Christianity as an oppressive system.

Personally I would think that, as a strong practising Catholic, a relationship with a Wiccan will be quite difficult (even as friends I find them quite difficult and very ‘chippy’, a bit like ‘druids’). Norse and Germanic pagans, on the other hand (while I wouldn’t recommend a romantic relationship) tend to, in my opinion, can make decent friends (but then I will admit to liking a drink or two).

I agree, there is a very strong, dare I say “anti-Christian” thread amongst the more liberal branches of paganism. This persons personal feelings on the issue would be something to find out, I once dated a hard athiest who would make snippy comments about religion in general which annoyed me.

But your also right on the later part, I would imagine “conservative” pagans, Germanics like myself and Slavics, could get on much better. We put alot of emphasis on honor and “family values”.

Either way religion has never caused a problem with my love life and I’ve never dated another pagan.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.