Can I do centering prayer?

Is it ok in centering prayer to coordinate breath with the repetition of “Maranatha” as a mantra? If so, is it ok to inhale on the first syllable, then exhale on the last 3 syllables? I had learned a breathing technique for relaxation years ago, and incorporated it into centering prayer, however I am wondering if I should let go of trying to control the breath in this way.

A bit of background. I began meditating about 3 years ago. That led me to centering prayer using the mantra, but I was inconsistent with it. I have since started back with twice daily meditation about a month ago. This was after reading some literature written by Buddhist monks, and I was concentrating on breath alone. It is called vipisanna in Buddhism. Then about a week or so ago I started realizing I should go back to using my Catholic mantra, even though I realize God is the creator of my breath.

These links should help you better understand the Catholic position on centering prayer. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Is Centering Prayer Catholic meditation?
*]Can Catholics engage in Centering Prayer?
*]Is Lectio Divina considered Centering Prayer?
*]Is seeking contemplative prayer wrong?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.