Can I get a religious tattoo?

:shrug:Hello,

This will be one of my 1st posts on the forum. I appreciate any and all answers…

I am a 34 year old male in California… I am an educated man and I feel I am a logical and loving good catholic man… However, I have faltered in both mind, body and faith at times (as I’m sure we all have).

I am strong in my catholic beliefs and have always felt the hand of God in my life in one way or another… directly influencing my lifes path…

However, I also feel the influence of “other” entities… I havent seen much on the forum about this topic… so I am bringing it up now…

Since a small age I have had an extra sensory perception… a “feeling” inside that I get when “entities” are around me… I feel and hear and am followed by what some call “ghosts” or “beings”… some negative and some positive… Without getting into too much detail, I have felt the need to protect myself…

I know many people will utilize a medallion or a cross or some other symbol (all blessed) to help protect them…

Can a tattoo function in this manner? I know that in some cultures a tattoo is used as a functional tattoo to protect from “spirits”…

My logic is that a symbolic item like a medallion and a cross is only functional once its blessed… the metal itself is not holy, but in fact only becomes holy once blessed… If tattoo ink is blessed… then used to tattoo… does it create a funtional tattoo? Something that can not be taken off or lost…

I was once told that Templar Knights tattoo’d the palms of their hands with the symbol of the cross so I feel that tattoo’s which are functional and glorify God arent against Gods will.

Using the verse from Ephesians “put on the armor of God” I got the idea to tattoo Templar armor embossed witht the image of the St. Benedicts medal as a functional tattoo…

Any thoughts?

These links should be helpful for understanding the Church’s position on tattoos. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Is getting a tattoo sinful?

Should I get a rosary tattoo?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.