Can I get an amen?

I have a few questions…
This is my first post here so don’t be too mad if I did this wrong.

I am a new convert to the faith. And I must say it is the best decision I’ve ever made.

1. Is it bad that I only want to receive communion from my priest? It’s not that I feel the validity of the Eucharist is wrong if I take from someone else, but I just feel better if it was from a priest.

2. when I ask for a blessing over my dinner would it be improper of me to make the SOTC over my food? I’m not actually blessing the food as a priest would, but merely asking God to bless the food for the nourishment of my body. I make the SOTC over myself after but didn’t know if it was okay to do so over my food.

Thank you for your time.
Erik

Gen. 3:19 :crossrc:

Not quite, Eric!

It is not a good idea to start doing things in the Church simply because it feels good. What is important in receiving our Blessed Lord in the Eucharist, is our Blessed Lord—regardless of the minister! Believing must always take precedence over feeling.

While everyone in is entitled to ask a blessing over things, it is not the custom in the Catholic Church for the laity to do so in the manner of an ordained priest. It would be more appropriate for you to simply hold you right hand over the food.

And Eric, welcome home!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.