Can I give my children First Communion instruction?

Hi, this is my first question - apologies if it is in the wrong section.

I came back to the faith a few years ago and by then my children had missed their normal time for first communion class. I thought I would leave it to them to decide if it was something they wanted to do but the more I attended church the more important it was for me for them to do this. By this time they were 11 and 13. I put the forms in when the parish asked and spoke to the priest explaining my circumstances and why they had not already done this. He promised to put someone in charge of their instruction so they would not be with the younger children but, although I kept chasing, he never actually got back to me. I moved house and thought I would try another parish so I waited until they asked for candidates (another year) and put in the forms. The priest noticed the age of the children and said my eldest could do it at the same time as confirmation. Then he unfortunately left the parish.

I don’t think my daughter, now 14, is ready for confirmation but I don’t want to give up on her and I think she would do holy communion. My son, who is 12, definately wants to but the priest didnt put him forward although I filled in the forms - I guess because of leaving the parish at the time of when the classes start maybe it got overlooked.

Now I have a new priest and I will obviously have to talk to him about all this but I wondered if there is any way or precedent that means I could give my kids the instruction they need myself. I know they are a little offput by having to have instruction with much younger children - and the course will presumably be aimed at that age group and may not be relevant for older children anyway.

Any advice, books etc. you could give would really be appreciated - I don’t really want to wait another year (by which time my son may not be so enthusiastic) as I have been put off for two years already.

Sarah

The following link should help answer your question about Holy Communion instruction. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:**

Can I homeschool my son to receive the sacraments?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.