Can I go to Adoration if I am in the state of mortal sin?

I know I must not receive Eucharist in this case, but can I go to Adoration if I am in the state of mortal sin?

1 Like

Yes, you may pray any time. You still go to Mass even though you may be in the state of mortal sin, right? Then you can go to adoration. And if you can’t receive the Eucharist, because of mortal sin, or are sick and can’t make it to Mass you can make a spiritual communion.

Since you are dealing with scrupulosity you should ask your confessor if you should be skipping receiving the Eucharist especially if you find you are skipping more often than not.

This is something close to my heart. I skip communion but seem to be the only one at Mass doing so. Am I the only one with sin?
Others encourage me to go up to communion anyhow saying that it is the “modern thing” to do. I am not convinced.
Please pray for me.
www.catholicprayergroup.net

No, you aren’t the only one with sin. Most people don’t even realize that rule exists. You are just a well informed Catholic with a good conscience.

What keeps you from confession and getting this issue resolved? You need not state the sin, I just hope you can get back to the sacraments soon.

You are doing the right thing. Some don’t know of the rule or don’t see any reason to follow it - which would make me wonder Who they think they’re receiving in the Eucharist!

Very modern thing to do agree. So many people go to confession when in mortal sin its astonishing

Yes, I encourage you that if you have time to make it to Eucharistic Adoration (YAY!!), you could make a good confession as well. I urge you to do so as soon as you can. It is a great gift we have to receive and adore Christ and His Body, and perhaps obligation to do so, and therefore remain without unforgiven mortal sins.

God bless you,
Christina

:confused:

Maybe you meant to say, Communion rather than Confession???

I think that’s what was meant, too. :slight_smile: I think we probably need more people to go to Confession while in mortal sin. :slight_smile:

Christina

What you are doing by not receiving communion while in the state of mortal sin is a very honorable, and respectful thing. You are obeying the Church and our Lord by not committing another sin by receiving his precious Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity unworthily.

Don’t listen to ignorant people who say to receive our Lord while in the state of mortal sin.

I will pray for you. Also you pray for me.

Yes and if you pray an act of perfect contrition and resolve to get to confession asap then your sin is forgiven. You must refrain from the Eucharist out of respect for both sacraments (Eucharist and Reconciliation) but you are already forgiven of that mortal sin. So please do visit our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament and know the healing peace of our Lord.

I was always taught there was no such thing as an “act of perfect contrition”…

You can say an “Act of Contrition” whether or not your contrition is perfect or imperfect is to be decided upon by God, which is why confession is a must because we really don’t know if our contrition is perfect.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=65230&highlight=act+of+perfect+contrition

Can you explain what the Code of Canon Law means when it says…

“Code of Canon Law (CIC) states: “A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess;”

A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to “celebrate Mass” OR “receive the body of the Lord”

Did you read what Jim Blackburn wrote on the link that you provided? It completely contradicts your statement. Please re-read the link and you will find that a person can indeed pray an act of perfect contrition and it can very much remit mortal sin. Also you can refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I gave you one of the paragraphs from the CCC here:

**1452 **When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called “perfect” (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.

Yea I did read it. There is no such thing as an praying an act of perfect contrition. There is such a thing as praying an “act of contrition”…whether or not your contrition is perfect, you cannot know.

No such thing as saying an exact set of words perfectly…is what I was meaning.

You can’t say the Act of Contrition perfectly and know for a fact you are forgiven. You can simply pray an Act of Contrition.

From the link provided:…
““First, to clarify, the Catechism (CCC) speaks of “perfect contrition”, not a “perfect act of contrition”. This is an important distinction because it is not a perfect act (e.g., reciting an Act of Contrition prayer perfectly) that obtains the forgiveness of grave sins; it is the contrition itself that must be perfect.””

And I never said that we should pray a “perfect act” of contrition. I am in total agreement with Jim Blackburn in the article that you referred me to and I still hold that you do not view it as it is written which is exactly as I stated it in my first reply. We will have to agree to disagree since Jim is very clear, as is the Catechism, that a person can pray an Act of Perfect Contrition and with the resolve of going to confession can have his or her mortal sin remitted. Please read it again. Yes, I will agree that absolution from a priest definitely assures one of forgiveness but that does not negate what the Church teaches about perfect contrition. Your clarification on the CCC was not necessary as I never referred to a perfect act… re-read what I wrote and then re-read your own resource. God bless you…teachccd :slight_smile:

It was just a misunderstanding of what you said on my part. I thought you were saying we could say a perfect act of contrition. Sorry. :blush:

Not a problem at all!! I just wanted to reflect what the Church teaches and I appreciate your fervency. God bless you… teachccd :slight_smile:

Yes my mistake

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.