Can I go to Confession?

I’m hoping you can give me some guidance - I haven’t been to Confession in several years and really want to go. I have come to realize how important this sacrament is and plan to go regularly. However, I am in an invalid marriage (25 years), and my husband and I are in the process of having our marriage convalidated. We expect to hear back from Rome any day now (our case involved a Privilege in Favor of the Faith). All of our children were baptized and raised Catholic, and my husband is studying the Catechism and is now considering converting.

Should I go to Confession, confess everything, including the invalid marriage, and refrain from receiving the Eucharist until our marriage is made valid in the Church’s eyes? I can’t remedy the situation until permission is received from Rome.
Thank you for being there to help and answer our questions!

Dear Katie,
I must tell you that for you to go to Confession with the intention of having further sexual relations outside of the sacrament of Matrimony would be a further mortal sin.

But if you and your husband live in a celibate way until you are married in the Church, you may go to Confession and receive Holy Communion. There is no doubt in my mind that the Holy Spirit is flooding you with grace. If you truly desire the strength to live in this way, you will receive it. You both are in my
Prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.