Can I go to hell for suicide

Are suicidial thoughts a mortal sin and can committing suicide send to hell?

Yes.

If you are thinking of hurting yourself please call 911. That way you can talk to somebody who cares and wants to help.

If you are having thoughts of suicide you should seek medical help immediately. You shouldn’t be bargaining about whether you will go to hell. Get help NOW.

If you are having suicidal thoughts, please call the Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255
Or chat with them online at http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx

They can be very helpful and let you see hope. You’ll be in my prayers.

this out of the league of CAF; settle down, sit quietly and get some help

hang on

Okay… it’s only just thoughts.

It’s my understanding that three conditions need to be met for a mortal sin to occur. Grave matter, full consent, full knowledge.

Grave matter is pretty easy. It’s grave or it’s not grave, usually.

Full consent? Trickier. Depression and other mental illnesses interfere with consent and reduce or even eliminate guilt at times.

Full knowledge? Also tricky. No one person can definitively say what another person has retained in their brain as known. Numerous things, both internally and externally, can effect learning potential.

So, CAN you go to Hell for suicide? Yes. WOULD you go to Hell if you committed suicide? Only God knows that.

God’s MERCY has no limits. The depth of God’s LOVE for each of us is unfathomable. He does not want any soul to be lost. In all our brokenness and unworthiness, He loves us.

Suicidal ideation is something that many people deal with. It doesn’t hurt to talk to someone. You are NOT a bad person. :heart:️ 1-800-273-8255

This us not a black-and-white matter and well beyond the scope of this forum. Thoughts of this kind are hardly “just” anything to be taken lightly. Please call the hotline or seek out assistance from an appropriate source immediately and know that you have our prayers, and above all, you are loved.

Jzea please call the hospital and tell them you are contemplative suicide

OP, please seek help offline, with the hotline people have suggested, or else by calling your parish to speak to a priest, who could refer you to a therapist who might be able to help.

It would be better if the rest of us just commended the OP to our prayers and let the moderators lock the thread. The advice given by some is very helpful, but by others not so much, and is in fact, dangerous.

-Fr ACEGC

God does not send people to hell, we send ourselves by dying in mortal sin.

CONTACT https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Suicidal thoughts can be caused by a mental condition such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or clinical depression. If that’s the case, the thoughts themselves wouldn’t be mortally sinful. However, suicide can very well send you to hell. Setting that aside, NEVER resort to suicide! That is exactly what the devil wants, for there is no greater gift from God than the life He has breathed into you. If you are serious, call 911 or the Suicide Prevention Hotline NOW! I know how painful it can be. I’ve suffered from clinical depression for years and have contemplated suicide before, but with the right treatment and full trust in God, you CAN pull through this! Private message me orsomebody else on this thread if you need someone to talk to.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

It is sinful to DELIBERATELY entertain thoughts of taking your own life, and it is possible to go to hell if you commit suicide.

Do not entertain such thoughts if they pop into your mind.

If your are really getting such thoughts, please talk to someone. Some people have already posted useful hotlines for this purpose.

I’m sorry, that ain’t helpful.
You don’t choose these thoughts, they are an affliction. You can choose to deal with them, but at this stage of depression it is almost like an oppression. You don’t simply will yourself out of it.
And worrying about going to hell is going to ratchet up the anxiety big time.

God is merciful. Depression hurts, but it will pass.
Get help, there are people who love to help others. We all need help from time to time. It’s ok.

Repeating this important post.

You are a child of God. Please, reach out to someone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.