Can I have my marriage blessed?

I got married 3 years ago by justice of the peace and on my 5th anniversary I want to have it blessed. Can we and what do we need to do it?

As long as neither you nor your spouse have a previous marriage then you can have your marriage validated in the Church. You would need to provide:

  1. proof/testimony of freedom to marry (e.g. proof of no other marriages)
  2. copy of civil marriage
  3. sacramental records
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit