Can I make this statement about the Blessed Mary?

In the bible, Mary said:

“henceforth all generations will call me blessed” LUKE 1:48

Is it correct to say that this was a prophecy, and that this prophecy is fulfilled at every catholic mass around the world? Is Mary called “Blessed Mary” at every single mass around the world in the Confiteor prayer? Or are there some masses in certain countries where Mary is not mentioned or called “blessed”?

I could be wrong (please correct me if i am) but as far as i know Mary is never called “Blessed Mary” at protestant, lutheran, methodist, baptist etc church services?

Basically, i want to know if the catholic church is the only church that can lay claim to the fact that Mary is called “Blessed Mary” (in line with her prophecy) at its services, and therefore the catholic church is technically most in line with this particular bible prophecy.

P.S. I know that Marys statement in the bible does not refer to her being called blessed at church services in particular but that she would simply be called blessed. But as far as i know anyway, most protestants would not refer to her as “Blessed Mary” in their everyday speech as it sounds like more of a catholic thing to say. I could be wrong on this though, i’ve just never heard a protestant refer to Mary as “Blessed Mary”.

As far as I know my friend, the Confiteor is not said in the course of the Mass but rather during Confession. As for it being a prophecy, I wouldn’t be inclined to think so myself; although the wiser among us here on this forum will inform us hopefully. I have an opinion that Our Blessed Mother’s statement is similar to the statement given by Our Lord when the woman anointed Jesus with the ointment from an alabaster jar and wiped His feet with her tears.

I believe Mary’s statement is very similar to that of this said by Our Lord; "Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

Whilst the woman will be remembered for anointing Christ for His death, so too will the Blessed Virgin Mary be remembered and venerated for her Faith, by accepting God’s will yo become the Mother of God, thus bringing Christ into the world. Also, when I say venerate, there is a distinction between veneration and worship. Latria (worship) is reserved for God alone; dulia (veneration) is given to the Saints in heaven. However, due to the role of Mary in bringing Christ and therefore Salvation into the world, she is given her own special form of dulia, known as hyperdulia.

God bless my friend, may you ever be in Communion with the Church of Rome!

The Confetior is definitely an option during Mass. Perhaps you are thinking of the Act of Contrition, which is said at the end of an individual’s confession.

ChadS

Orthodox and some Anglicans would also call Mary blessed.

You are right my friend, I was getting confused and I remember now! :smiley:

Thank you for enlightening me friend! :thumbsup:

Yes it is said in the course of the Mass…both EF and OF. Perhaps you are thinking of the Act of Contrition?

You are right my friend, I was getting confused with the terms! :smiley:

The Blessed Virgin is not always mentioned in the Penitential Rite. She is in option 1 and her name may be mentioned in option 3. She is, however, at every Mass mentioned in the Eucharistic Prayer…whichever one is used.

The quote from the Magnificat is “all generations will call me blessed for the Almighty has done great things for me and holy is His Name.” All Christians should therefore acknowledge at the demand of Scripture itself that Mary, in being chosen to become the Mother of the Saviour, was thereby blessed by God. That is not the same as referring to her with the words “Blessed Mary.”

The veneration of the Virgin, which I think is the actual heart of your query, would be a different question…Catholics of East and West, Orthodox, other Christians of the East, Anglicans, Lutherans, and various others will in various ways honour the person of the Mother of the Redeemer.

:thumbsup:

Her statement is that she would be called blessed, not that people would just acknowledge her as blessed. It’s debatable, but my interpretation of this is that this requires a verbal acknowledgment, and not just a mental one. And alot of protestants don’t give this verbal acknowledgment because they equate it as being a catholic thing to do. So they are in effect, breaking this biblical prophecy, and consequently demonstrably out of line with (at least this part) of scripture.

The veneration of the Virgin, as a topic in and of itself, is not what i’m talking about in this thread.

The Blessed Virgin, in point of fact, did not say the word called. “Called” happens to be one English rendering of what she said.

In actuality, we can only postulate the word that she would have used since she assuredly would not have spoken to her cousin in Greek but, by faith, we know that what Luke tells us is a true rendering in Greek of what she said. Thus, what Luke has coming forth from the mouth of the Blessed Virgin at this moment in the narrative is:

ὅτι ἐπέβλεψεν ἐπὶ τὴν ταπείνωσιν τῆς δούλης αὐτοῦ. ἰδοὺ γὰρ ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν μακαριοῦσίν με πᾶσαι αἱ γενεαί

She is (or, probably, I would better render it with: will be) counted as blessed by all the generations [that are to come].

The Vulgate renders it as ecce enim ex hoc beatam me dicent omnes generationes…the verb being best equivalent to “say” or “speak” in English.

Lutherans, too

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.