Can I marry a Protestant?

It’s a bit of a long story, but I’ll try to keep it short and sweet. My boyfriend, “Dan,” and I have been dating for 2 years on the November 14th. We get along very well on everything until it comes to the discussion of religion. When ever he talks about his faith, I sometime become so appalled.

For example with baptism. For Catholics, it is one very important step in our lives. As for Dan, it was up to him as to when he was going to be baptized. He was baptized by a Baptist pastor in a lake. First, Dan isn’t a Baptist, and second, I was under the impression that one had to be either dipped in moving water, or Holy water was poured on one’s head during baptism. So my first question, is his baptism still valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church?

As for my last problem on this thread, Dan and I have been talking and fantasizing about getting married. (pretty much talking about coming home to the kids and wife, etc.) The issue that lies is, I’m wanting to get married in the Catholic Church while he wants to get married in a protestant church. Both of us are hoping the other will agree, but neither of us seems to be budging on either side.

I’m at odds as to what do do? :frowning:

The following links should help answer your questions about marrying a Protestant. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Marriage between Catholic and Protestant
Should I marry a man of a different religion?

Does the Church recognize non-Catholic baptisms?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.