Can I Participate In Bishop Fellay's Rosary Crusade?

Bishop Fellay of the SSPX has launched a Rosary Crusade for 2014.

The intentions are:

1. To implore from the Immaculate Heart of Mary a special protection for the traditional apostolate;
  2. For the return to Tradition within the Church;
  3. For the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary by the consecration of Russia.

May I participate in it?

God bless you for answering my question. :blessyou:

Well Russia has already been consecrated, so I don’t know what’s the point for praying for the last one, but I’m sure there’s no harm in praying for a larger usage of the extraordinary form of the Mass (which is what I’m assuming they mean by a return to tradition in the Church.) However, I, personally, am always weary of participating in schismatic groups like the sspx.
FSSP>SSPX

The SSPX is not schismatic.

You can pray your rosary for those intentions if you want. I’m sure different people would have different interpretations of ‘return to tradition.’ I would be carefully about sending in your name in a pledge to the crusade or posting about it online (like in Facebook) because if you are associate with the sspx, your bishop will be more cautious in allowing the EF. That is your bishop’s right and part of the instructions given by Pope Benedict.

I recommend you pray for conversion of sinners and a return to devotion and piety.

The SSPX is NOT whatsoever in schism with the Church. I will be participating in the Bishop’s rosary crusade January 1-8 and I hope anyone who wants the restoration of tradition in the church to do so as well.

God bless!

Just to note, I am in no way affiliated with the SSPX, nor will I ever be. :slight_smile:

I thought they weren’t on good terms with Rome. I don’t know if it’d be prudent to encourage an organization which seems to be placing itself outside the Church.

It’s not like I’d announce to them that I’m going to participate in their Rosary Crusade. If Our Lady thought they 2 of these 3 intentions shouldn’t be met, then she won’t bring them to Her Son. :thumbsup:

Thats what I thought too. :shrug:

I would not participate, because of their status with Rome.

Ditto. I would pray for them instead, not with them.

I would not participate with a renegade bishop who does not submit to his superior, Pope Francis, but chooses to live in disobedience and lead others astray. :shrug:

Agreed.

I agree with this. More prudent approach, given their status with the Holy See.

There is nothing traditional about the disobedient SSPX.

I second what Zekariya said. Furthermore, I have no idea why you would want to participate in there activities.

This is redundant because Russia has already been consecrated.

In the context of the current situation in the Church, what does “union with Rome” even mean anymore? Are Cardinal Walter Kasper and the German Bishops in “communion with Rome”?
lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-kasper-says-church-will-soon-give-communion-to-divorced-remarried

Is being Catholic just a juridical status? I think not. Draw your own conclusions. I’ve drawn mine. It’s clear to me that Bishop Bernard Fellay is more Catholic than the high ranking prelates in the article I linked.

The disobedience Bishop Fellay gives out an invalid Sacrament of Penance. Giving a fake absolution is a travesty.

The validity of the Sacrament of Penance do not depend on the righteousness of the priest but the priest needs faculties from the diocesan bishop in order for the Sacrament of Penance to be valid.

Do you even understand the issues in the article cited? Cardinal Walter Kasper and the Bishops Conference of Germany are willing to give Holy Communion to people who are divorced and remarried. In other words, they are defying the very teaching of Jesus Christ in the Gospels and the Immemorial teaching of the Church, and not a thing is done about it. In fact, under the current climate, I expect it to be encouraged.
That’s far worse than anything Bishop Fellay has ever done. As far as the sacrament of penance being invalid when administered by SSPX priests, that’s a separate issue. But a person who presents themselves to a priest for the Sacrament of Penance in good faith will be absolved of his sins. Unless you think Our Lord is more concerned with laws and regulations than he is with the salvation of souls.

Straining at gnats, and swallowing camels.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.