Can I participate in the Eucharist?

Hello,
I'm a new member. I was raised catholic, left the church for around 10-15 years and came back at age 33 and try to be the best I can now. I know now that I can't participate in what I did yesterday but helped my brother purchase marijuana without any intention of smoking it or getting high. I consider myself an ex-user and when I met the "dealer" he asked me to try a little as an act of friendship. Only a day after confession I had no intention on trying anything but gave in and promised myself I'd never help my brother buy again. I didn't even feel anything after trying some. I felt really bad and prayed to God as I drove home and delivered the stuff to my brother. I won't ever do it again. Should I just be blessed at mass until my next confession or can I participate in the Eucharist?
God Bless

[quote="ndw3, post:1, topic:308348"]
Hello,
I'm a new member. I was raised catholic, left the church for around 10-15 years and came back at age 33 and try to be the best I can now. I know now that I can't participate in what I did yesterday but helped my brother purchase marijuana without any intention of smoking it or getting high. I consider myself an ex-user and when I met the "dealer" he asked me to try a little as an act of friendship. Only a day after confession I had no intention on trying anything but gave in and promised myself I'd never help my brother buy again. I didn't even feel anything after trying some. I felt really bad and prayed to God as I drove home and delivered the stuff to my brother. I won't ever do it again. Should I just be blessed at mass until my next confession or can I participate in the Eucharist?
God Bless

[/quote]

You should confess to a priest before partaking of the Eucharist. You gave into temptation and partook in marijuana. You helped someone to commit a sin (and possibly brake the law of the land). Depending on where you live, what you did is illegal and, we are bound to obey our civil authorities unless it goes against God.

Just as a man that has been clean from the sin of masturbation and then falls should confess his sin in Confession, so should someone who has been clean from drugs do the same. It is better to confess and partake worthily than to risk partaking unto condemnation. :thumbsup:

In Christ,
Zekariya

[quote="ndw3, post:1, topic:308348"]
Hello,
God Bless

[/quote]

Depending on your location, marijuana may be perfectly legal.

It might only be venial since, as an area of weakness, you might not have had full consent of the will. It is better to not leave it to chance, however. Discuss the matter with the priest at your next Confession (which may be as soon as possible - there is no minimum time between Confessions).

To begin with, your effort to move away from drugs is commendable, as is your return into Holy Church.

You yourself said it: "I felt really bad" and "I won't ever do it again". Your conscience tells you that you did something wrong, moved you to repentance, and feels contrition. This most certainly hints to the necessity to confess before receiving the Holy Eucharist, although only the confessor can clarify if it was or not a mortal sin.

As for the blessing, remember: it is not proper to walk to the priest in Holy Communion only to be blessed (much more if the "blessing" is given by someone other than the priest). If you don't receive Holy Communion, you should remain sitting in your pew and perform an Act of Spiritual Communion.

Please remember that the non-intention of using the drug yourself is one thing, but the intention of helping your brother in this endeavor rather than helping him move away from it is a sinful act in itself. I suggest - that's if you feel comfortable about it - to ask to your priest a few minutes of spiritual direction and bring this matter to his attention. Maybe he can give you some good advice for your brother, because I am afraid this will not be the last time this circumstance presents itself.

[quote="garn9173, post:3, topic:308348"]
Depending on your location, marijuana may be perfectly legal.

[/quote]

In today's world, "legal" does not necessarily mean morally right. Alcohol is perfectly legal where I live, but if I had a single dollar for every family I've seen destroyed by alcohol, I could retire by now. :)

[quote="RPRPsych, post:6, topic:308348"]
In today's world, "legal" does not necessarily mean morally right. Alcohol is perfectly legal where I live, but if I had a single dollar for every family I've seen destroyed by alcohol, I could retire by now. :)

[/quote]

If legal it should be used in moderation, like alcohol. Christ first miracle was changing water into wine, so I go with wine is morally fine. Abusing God's gift is wrong.

Not necessarily. It boils down to how virtuous is the government that establishes the legality of something. Human law, in some places and in specific arguments, can greatly divert from divine law.

Ex. in the United States, abortion is theoretically legal throughout the whole 9 months. :shrug:

I think that saying, 'the "dealer" he asked me to try a little as an act of friendship', implies that this was an illegal situation (they were probably making sure he wasn't a cop). Probably no need to verge into discussion on civil law versus divine law in this thread. :)

Based on the variety of well intended answers here (from No you can't to Yes you can, with a couple of Maybes or Perhaps' thrown in the middle), I think there is another lesson to be learned here.

Ask your priest; but, never ask the question of Mortal or Venial, Illicitness, Valid, etc., to a group of people on the internet, although quasi-pious. The answers you receive are going to leave you with more questions, or lead you down the road of "shopping" for the answer you want to hear, or is the easiest.

Peace and all good!

no he's known me for a while, he does it legally and I have an expired smoking license. I know in my heart it was wrong to help my brother buy though.
Thanks for the advice

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.