Can I pray at school or would that be considered "Prayer in the streets"?

Hello. During my fitness class we are playing tag football. And the Lord knows I can't play football.

My question is, since our gym teacher allows us to walk around the field if we do not (Or in my case, cannot) play football. I was thinking about putting this time to good use by praying the Rosary during that time while I walk around the field.

My only problem is that I fear I may be using this to show to my classmates "Look how devout I am". I am afraid this may be, as Jesus called it, "prayer in the streets".

I was wondering if this is acceptable or not?

Thank you!

It would be "prayer in the streets" if that is your intention. Otherwise just accept that people are going to see it that way sometimes even if your are most sincere. It's just as likely that someone might be inspired by your devotion. Either way, I wouldn't think about how people would react to it much. Make your decision based on what you think would be most pleasing to God. If you think it would be most pleasing to him to see you play football then do that. If you think it's practicing the Rosary, do that. Also, you could make the decision based on what pleases you and let God see that as well.

This is just a reninder that it is not necessary to use rosary beads to pray the rosary although they are helpful in keeping track of the prayers. You could keep track of the Hail Marys on your fingers or use the small Irish Penal Rosary. You can learn about it and see a picture of one here:

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/IRISH+PENAL+ROSARY/cid=433/page_no=1/edp_no=17227/shop.axd/ProductDetails

[quote="Louishacker, post:3, topic:318487"]
This is just a reninder that it is not necessary to use rosary beads to pray the rosary although they are helpful in keeping track of the prayers. You could keep track of the Hail Marys on your fingers or use the small Irish Penal Rosary. You can learn about it and see a picture of one here:

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/IRISH+PENAL+ROSARY/cid=433/page_no=1/edp_no=17227/shop.axd/ProductDetails

[/quote]

That's awesome! I had never seen one of those before! A great suggestion.

When I was in the Marine Corps, we were training by hiking up this big mountain. It was beautiful, but the Marine Corps always had a habit of sucking all of the good things out of life, and it was nearly impossible to pray. We took a five minute break, and I was standing on the cliff side praying and my sergeant asked me what I was doing. I said I was praying and he told me to cut it out. So I did. There are times when God is calling us to be in this present moment and to be in this present place.

However, it seems as if you are truly free to pray at will in gym class. I would advise you to use your time wisely and pray when you have the freedom to pray.

[quote="bolinstephen, post:4, topic:318487"]
I was standing on the cliff side praying and my sergeant asked me what I was doing. I said I was praying and he told me to cut it out. So I did.

[/quote]

I'd have just said "Yes Sir" and then disobeyed the order.

Nobody but nobody tells me if I am allowed to pray or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.