Can I Pray for Souls in Hell?

When I see all the bad stuff going on in the world, and I start praying for myself and all my little problems, I realize that I must pray for the whole world.

As Catholics we are called to pray for all the souls in purgatory, ( and I hope that when I wind up there, someone will be praying for me!)

Can we not also pray for the souls in Hell? I feel compelled to do so. It is a kind of a faint Hope clause for me. I truly hope that God, in His mercy, and for reasons far and away from our understanding, may pardon these souls. Is it a sin for me to so pray for them?

I feel for them. I feel their pain. I want to help them. Yet, I do not want to go against God. Am I committing sin by praying for them?

Thanks, BB

The following link should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on praying for souls in Hell. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Should we pray for those in hell?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.